Say "Hello" to Display Names!

So will both names be shown on post at the same time like this?Screenshot_169

4 Likes

Those old scripts are gonna be using Player.Name not Player.DisplayName, so it won’t matter if the display name is the owners, unless it’s their actual username they won’t gain access to admin commands.

The roleplay part does not apply. Firstly because of the time limit, and secondly because of the limitations of a DisplayName.

They already have systems in place to fix that, it does need some improvement, but anyone in the Star program has moderated DisplayNames, so you can’t have their usernames, that does need to improve a bit, but mostly it’s good. And roblox staff fixing, there’s a lot.

True dat. It’s still mostly kids but ok.

I don’t know your point? Oh nevermind, about confirming who it is. Well you don’t have to look at their profile at all, in fact clicking on the Player List reveals their actual username. Arsenal might need some help with that lol.

I don’t know how, mostly you just have to change some lines to support it, in fact my game already does that for name tags. Which I’m planning on improving for normal usernames compability.

I’m hoping It will show both at the same time to avoid this.

1 Like

The DevForum names are gonna be changed too? Or the site will be the same?

Not bad, but all I can say about this is to make sure you guys go over the risks of this feature and make sure there’s no impersonation or anything like that going on, as I feel it’s the main issue of the feature itself. This update should be thought out well, and I believe @ItsAmmon has made some valuable suggestions via twitter, so it’s worth checking that out.

1 Like

As for FPS games, If your original username can only appear then it is gonna get some people mad but as far as I think this is the best method. I might be short sighted :rofl: So… just point out if there is an alternative solution

1 Like

I believe that’s the main issue here at the moment, and the best way to fix that is probably with a verification process of some sort to ensure that impersonation doesn’t occur in respect to some well-known/reputable users.

2 Likes

They can also add both. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Definitely because even with the current Owner/dev badge Some people might not pay attention.

2 Likes

What do you mean? Both as in Both Username and the Display name?

Still some people might not pay attention to that or maybe doesn’t understand impersonation.
(mainly young kids)

1 Like

Yeah, let’s say when someone kills you, it should show their DisplayName and downards, a bit smaller, their username with an @.

It wouldn’t look very nice with the display name and username showing, if I’m being honest.

2 Likes

This feature is interesting and really neat as a concept but in practice I think it won’t to any good for the platform. The way this appears to be planned on being implemented seems like it’d only welcome impersonation and convolution.

The whole “CoolRobloxFan43732” thing was never truly an issue, as usernames could be changed. Granted, you require around $20 USD worth of Robux to do this, but if that was truly seen as an issue—why not just make username changes more accessible?

In regards to the issue about impersonation, I foresee many users using display names to impersonate others for malicious purposes. It will definitely confuse many players, and could lead to many different forms of scamming to gullible players who weren’t informed about display names. Players could impersonate famous people, staff members, or simply others in general for personal gain. I’m unsure if this was addressed in the post, but we’ll see.

Display names also don’t seem to be automatically replaced, which means that any place that hasn’t updated their systems to work with display names or just chooses not to utilize display names will be completely unaffected, rendering this feature pointless. This applies especially so to games which have stopped ongoing support.

I don’t believe this feature should be rolled out, at least until some form of solution is presented that fixes these issues. I do really appreciate the idea, however. These issues seem to have been restated a good deal on this post, so it is likely that solutions are already in the works.

1 Like

I believe there’s already an equivalent to that, as in-game YouTubers have a star next to their name on the leaderboard, Admins have the Roblox logo and Owners of the game have their own custom badge next to their name.

However, it would still be useful to have additional verification just in case to prevent impersonation.

I second the idea of including custom icon next to Roblox admins and famous figures, and we got to drill it into the kids’ head that if there isn’t an icon next to them, they’re not a real Roblox admin. So, new tutorial section that every Roblox player has to finish before they can play games?

1 Like

Not completely unaffected. There’s a flag in place for using the DisplayName rather than the Username for the player list, and I’m assuming that the chat will likely also utilize the flag.

If you’re interested, it’s under CoreGui (enable from Studio Settings) → RobloxGui → Modules → PlayerList → isDisplayNameEnabled

3 Likes

This will be a disaster. Scammers will rise if this system doesn’t get enough moderation, so if it’s getting rolled out, I’d recommend to put more human moderators online to watch out for impersonators and scammers such as scammers naming theirselves ‘Roblox’, ‘Linkmon99’, etc. This can break the Roblox economy.

Great update! But I gurantee kids will get scammed because of this.

3 Likes