Say "Hello" to Display Names!

That feature was a public testing from Germany, where the moderation feature wasn’t applied here. A moderation feature DOES exist, and was shown in a youtube video (One of KonekoKitten’s videos). The testing was most likely just to see the feature without moderation. This is very likely not going to be the final product.

2 Likes

From seeing the amount of impersonation that happened during that quick test, I do not think this update is a good idea, in any way shape or form.

As a large group and game owner, I am extremely worried about individuals taking my name and impersonating myself or using it in malicious ways towards my community. There is absolutely no way to prevent against impersonation.

2 Likes

it’s not the fact that there’s no moderation, my friend is basically a nobody, even if he hit up a complaint nothing would be done about it; but the fact that it worked just like that, without any notices, and whatnot

2 Likes

I’ve been playing some games and I’ve seen people in-game with their display name, but it does not show up on the player list, which is very confusing. Hopefully this gets fixed, because the only way I could identify who they were was by comparing the looks of the avatars.

1 Like

Again, it isn’t a full release. It was testing.
Testing =/= The final release.

1 Like

I think you should have the username displayed somewhere around the humanoid. This makes it much easier for others to do things such as contact them, use it to type in their username, and avoid any confusion seeing as how roblox tags half the usernames as it is.

1 Like

My suggestion is the display name is availavle in every country where we can play Roblox and every game creator can enable / disable that, it’s preferable it’s enabled by default so most of developpers won’t need go in the game setting

1 Like

It seems like this is already causing some issues for people being able to play/join games. I work as a Senior Moderator at FSRP and we got a report of this image. I hope this doesn’t cause to many issues and can be resolved quickly.

2 Likes

Okay? But the system is still exactly like Twitter where the actual account name isn’t hard to find it’s literally written next to people’s display name. It’s like this community is trying really hard to not like any update ever.

6 Likes

I’ve seen almost 0 publication outside of the Roblox dev forum on display names, so I assume anyone who does not read this forum has no clue. This is the main issue at hand. If people were aware that this was being pushed, the responsibility should fall in their hands, but the only reason I am aware of this update is the dev forum.

3 Likes

The biggest people are worried about is impersonation, but that really should not be the only main focus. There are other issues that should be focused on more like harassment and bypassing that aren’t getting as much light as they should be.

2 Likes

Here’s one thing, where did the filter for Roblox Staff, YouTubers, and Large Developers go?

Well I like it actually, but can you make it work good in-game?

image image

5 Likes

This is a rather strange function, but this function can also be used for bad purposes, but I picked up OOFimage

1 Like

Just a question.

What will happen to the names on the dev forums. Will it change to their display name or stay as their profile name. I’m predicting the latter but it’d be nice to get some clearance

3 Likes

In my opinion, if this became a premium feature, I personally would be somewhat upset. You might as well spend the 1k robux to change your name. I understand what your getting at, and to go along those lines, maybe an account age? If your account is… lets say 3 months or older, you can have access to display names. Setting them to premium is just one more for roblox to make money from.

7 Likes

This would absolutely suck for everyone who isn’t premium(a sizeable chunk of the population).
I’m completely opposed to that idea.
Plus, most clothing bots have premium…
Same with a lot of unethical people too

4 Likes

I can see what you’re saying, I’m sure they did. People will probably have to click something on their profile twice to see the handle in-game but people will naturally notice a way to confirm someone’s identity by finding their handle in game. I’m not sure how it’ll actually be, I’m just assuming.

1 Like

I understand that Roblox wants to allow more RolePlaying in its game, however, the property of being able to be easily abused and cause harm to others’ reputation, in my opinion, the cons outweigh the pros.

1 Like

There’s a filter that is being implemented. No one will be able to impersonate anyone.

2 Likes

Good, it would be super annoying having 50 Flamingo or TanqR impersonators in a server haha, i would assume this run was just a test to see what people would do.

1 Like