Scaled rich text on a BillboardGui keeps shaking

I have a BillboardGui that gets assigned to the player’s head when they join, and is frequently updated as their stats go up. The title TextLabel (noob) can be changed by the player and has no issues. The username TextLabel is the same, no issues I’ve seen. The stats are in a TextScaled RichText TextLabel.

However, very time I move my camera, the rich text wiggles and seems to be constantly changing size.

I have attempted to replicate this setup without using rich text, but none of my solutions have recreated the same effect, or fixed the shaking text. Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

• Recreated this setup without the UIListLayout — What you see in the video is without the UIListLayout, actually. The behavior was the same.
  • Used a UIGridLayout instead — All grid elements have to be the same size, so I wasn’t able to recreate this
  • Created 3 separate BillboardGuis, with the bottom row containing a UIGridLayout of 4 separate TextLabels (so I could color the numbers without using RichText) — TextScaled makes the shorter words too big, and I can’t have text on a BillboardGui not scaled.

Here is the hierarchy of the BillboardGui:
guiimage
Its properties:

The properties of all 3 textlabels selected:

I have seen similar issues posted about in the past, and there was a solution to a similar problem, though <br/ > was the culprit there instead of <"font color = “”>, which is what I’m using.

Am I making a mistake in the way I have this set up, or is it another bug related to RichText in BillboardGuis? I don’t have permission to post in bug reports so I hope this is the next best place!

2 Likes

Hi @BtwItsTiger , thanks for reporting this issue and the detailed explanation! Do you think it possible for you to share a repro file with the shaking text with us? Thank you!

BillboardGui RichText.rbxl (87.0 KB)

Let me know if you need anything else from me. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @BtwItsTiger , we looked into the place file you provided, is it possible that you changed the billboard gui to use offset size? With scale sizes, because the part in the 3D world is always changing its size, which resulted in changing the textLabel’s available space. Either the rendering result or the performance can be effected. Please let us know if for any reason offset sizes won’t work in your case. Thank you!

From my understanding, using offset sizes causes the elements to get bigger as you get farther away, right?

I need the Gui to remain in the same position above their head regardless of distance, and that seems to only be achievable through scale sizes. Unless you mean there’s a way to replicate the behavior with offset sizes but I haven’t been able to figure that out.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. We will take a closer look into this issue. Thanks for your patience!

1 Like

I want to add that this has been happening for years; I decided to not use rich text in certian situations because of this. Glad you guys are looking into it!

I also want to add that this is still happening if you guys aren’t aware.

bruh please fix it, its still happening, the absolute size shouldnt change so abruptly, it would be an easy fix…

Hi @mstrRoblox and @onIyahk , thanks for bringing this up. We attempted to roll out before but it got reverted back due to a regression. Now the regression has been fixed recently and should be going out soon. Thanks for your patience!

1 Like