ScreenGuis in StarterGui folder resets on respawn

I’ve checked all my GUIs to show false for “ResetOnSpawn”. I have ScreenGuis that are grouped into folders and I noticed that all the GUIs that are in these folders still refresh after a player respawns.

Anyone experiencing similar issues? How did you resolve this issue?

3 Likes

There’s a property in ScreenGuis named ResetOnSpawn- is this enabled for some of your ScreenGui instances and disabled for others?

1 Like

Yea i’ve disabled all the ResetOnSpawn attribute for the GUIs, but the GUIs in folders still reset on respawn.

1 Like

This could be an Engine Bug that’s been going on for a few years now:

I can’t recall experiencing this before, but I’ll go into Studio to see if I can replicate it.

Why are you placing your GUIs inside of Folders called Guis?

I was able to find a hacky workaround for this!

I was able to replicate the issue when using a similar setup to what you showed in the OP, and after stumbling across the topic I referenced in my original reply, I had an idea.

If you replace the folders with ScreenGuis and disable the ResetOnSpawn property for the GUI on the top layer to false, its children / objects inside of the top-layer object will no longer disregard that property.

This means that the following hierarchy:

Example1

Could be adjusted to this:

Example2

And it works as expected (so long as the new “ExampleContainer” has that property disabled). This is the only solution I could think of that wouldn’t require major changes while the bug report remains unsolved.

Edit (May 8th, 2024):

There’s something I’d like to mention as an FYI for anyone who reads through here and is curious about the behavior of ScreenGuis with ResetOnSpawn set to false still being reset if it was placed into a folder / other container.

Although that might not have been an intended behavior of the property, with another bug report being created for it 2 years after this thread, it has since been confirmed that the behavior would not be changed, as to avoid breaking any existing games.

This means that ResetOnSpawn will continue to function in a way where it only works when the GUI has been directly placed into the StarterGui service:

As a result, the workaround I provided here is still a viable option if you want to organize ScreenGuis in the StarterGui service.

14 Likes

Oh wow! I think this is a great idea! I’ll try it out. Thanks so much.

1 Like

Put the Folders in a GUI and Disable ResetOnSpawn for the GUI and they shouldn’t reset.

1 Like

This worked! So frustrating, and I thought I was scripting things wrong. Why would that bug even exist?

4 Likes

This worked for me too, bumping because it’s still a bug and took me 2 - 3 hours before I realized it was a bug and not my fault!!

4 Likes

I’m going to bump this again as it’s a strange behavior. The solution of changing the folders to ScreenGuis that serve as folders (with ResetOnSpawn set to false) does work. What I actually did, so that I can keep the folders for organizational reasons, was on the server (at start) use a script to create ScreenGuis (that eventually have the same name as the folders) and then move everything from the folders → new ScreenGuis, set ResetOnSpawn to false of course, then clean up the original folders.

1 Like