Script Editor: Luau-Powered Autocomplete & Language Features Beta

I notice there hasn’t been any autocomplete for self, is there going to be an update to this?

2 Likes

Some time ago, my Signal implementation changed the way connections/linked list nodes work, not being the same thing anymore, and basically they just point to each other. Anyway, in some way or another it at least seems like this was what broke auto-completion for me.

I can’t see why this is happening at all, I would appreciate you guys could investigate this because it’s bound to affect other people, if anything it would be nice to know what’s wrong here;

2 Likes

I mean, technically, a tween is an instance. (No, i’m not kidding. Try to parent a tween.)
Still weird however.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve known this for a while, Tween is a specific type though, like each pretty much every instance has a specific type to it, for example the Tween type has Tween specific members, like :Play, :Stop, .Completed on it.

Anyway this was fixed like one week after I mentioned it so! :partying_face:

2 Likes

It seems as if the editor gets mad when I try to index something with [index] that isn’t a table, but that is indexable.

Adding [string]: any to the type doesn’t help.

8 Likes

We are working on a fix for this intersection type indexing error issue, but I’m not sure when it will be ready.

5 Likes

There’s a small problem that occurs in my Signals Service, when I try to make a direct call of the service’s functions it generates an error saying that the argument of the function is incorrect and that ‘self’ is missing.

Apparently it is not possible to make fast connections.

7 Likes

Would you mind sending screenshots of the types these should be?

Getting the code from the github I have no issues.

This should be an issue on your side.

5 Likes

Because « **.Event ** » is a callback method and u try to make a function when the replicated storage is fired. Try to change the event name with a name

5 Likes

it’s back…

for me, I’m not sure, but was it removed?

update: nevermind, the feature was turned off for me somehow

4 Likes

Will we be seeing improvements to require() when getting modules with this beta?

For example, with my experiences framework, I have variables saved in a dictionary with object references to the folders I keep my modules in. They support autocomplete for any property and other children, but when using require() on it, said variable will not show any autocomplete.

Having this feature would be very useful as it can greatly help with experience organization.

On a similar topic, having support for requiring a modulescript returned by a function would be very handy. This would enable me to create a require-by-name, which helps with organization of large codebases.

One or both of these features would greatly increase my codebase organization and my speed of developing. I am currently working on a game with around 300 modules, and not having type checking with my system can really slow down development speed.

4 Likes

Improving require() would be great, but sadly, current limitations that we have don’t allow us to support these use cases.
The main limit here is that we construct the graph of module dependencies before we start type-checking each one.
If we change the implementation to type-check each module at the require() point, we should get the necessary type information and resolve the DataModel path.

We are aware of use cases where require() is called through a wrapper, and this case is even more complex as it requires us to somehow ‘execute’ the function to figure out how the input string is transformed (if it is).

If we make such improvements in the future, they will be released outside Autocomplete Beta feature (script analysis error reporting can benefit from require() tracing improvements as well).

4 Likes

@WheretIB

Has this beta feature been turned on by default for all users? I noticed it disappeared from the Beta Features menu, and have been getting consistent crashes (100% of the time) in certain places that all use Luau types.

EDIT:

After spending most of the day flipping flags and trying to make studio work it seems that the flag “LSPAutocomplete_preAlpha” crashes our games in studio 100% of the time. Even when never using the built in script editor (or autocomplete) at all.

2 Likes

Sorry for the trouble.
We are rolling out this Beta feature to more developers and we did receive some new crash reports after a recent extension.
We are working to fix at least two main issues we’re seeing for the update next week.

1 Like

Adding to the conversation about legibility and ease of use…

Are there any plans for visualizing script editor setting changes more easily?

Unless I’m missing something, I have to go back and forth between Studio Settings and my script editor to test changes. This means I have to close and reopen the settings menu a bunch of times for some very annoying trial and error.

In addition, is there a way (or will there be a way) to specifically set a font type/size for just the autocomplete / menu section? My script editor font isn’t a good match for autocomplete or the menu.

Lastly, are there any plans for different menu scalings or positions? Occasionally you get autocompletes that heavily block what you were just typing:

1 Like

Still happening to me when using inline if-statements

local bar = (
    if (foo) then
        "foo"
    els -- autocomplete says ElapsedTime
)

Thank you for the report, we are now working on a fix for this issue.

2 Likes

Hello, I wanted to report an issue that has been going on for over a month already, and I’ve been given no updates on it if whether it’ll be fixed or not. The issue involves autocomplete not working properly on “ObjectValue.Value”, and more details can be seen below this paragraph.

We are planning to add workspace children visibility through ObjectValue.Value reference in a future release (but not this week).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.