Seamless, endless, and performant custom water using skinned meshes and PBR

My update time is more like 1.5ms average

1 Like

Iā€™ve since learned that its due to my OOP implementationā€™s QOL features that significantly slow down such heavy processing (reduced that 2-3ms to 0.7-1ms) like having a proxy for every function in order to have a custom debug traceback. Still, though, what did you use to time your update time? Just checking the difference in clock before and after the update function? Iā€™m also curious how many wave components your waves use. From my end, 3 seems to be the golden number.

tyeridge, I would like to compliment on your teams game ā€˜The Wild Westā€™, if I were to play a game on roblox, that game would be my choice. Great job!

For a second I thought that was ROBLOX terrain water. WOW!

You really impressed me.

This is amazing, Iā€™ve actually played your woodland map generation game, I seriously think this game will be huge with the amount of effort going into it. Great work.

Usually Iā€™d over feedback but I have none that hasnā€™t already been suggested, again, amazing job.

1 Like

I use the microprofiler to measure this. Yeah I use 3 waves

1 Like

Oh wow, didnā€™t know it showed this much info.
I am still confused over your time, though. Simply taking the boneā€™s position for the calculation and transforming it take nearly exactly 1ms. Is there some special method of moving the bones that Iā€™m not aware of or is your calculation faster than indexing the bone position and transforming it?

How are you making the water infinite? Are you moving one large mesh with the camera or are you tiling a lot of small meshes as the camera moves?

Pretty awesome!
How did you handle gerstner multiple waves?

Multiple waves are implemented by just adding the offset values of each wave together.

It looks so real! Good job bro, keep it up!

1 Like

Haha thanks for the response. Got it working yesterday, just took me quite a few times of reading over it!

1 Like

This is roblox? This looks incredible.

is it alright if i asked, how would i be able to make this? or tips/sources i can look in to put it all together?

3 Likes

Oh my god this looks so, good
I would give anything for this water effect

1 Like

only issue would be that only the built in water has SSR, wish we will get an option in the future to have SSR for custom materials aswell

if you import it with avatar evolution, the limit is 50k

Is the moving water just one part using mesh deformation?? and is the movement done locally or on the server side

1 Like

nice but it looks plastic and is a clear example that roblox needs reflections

This is great! Extremely excited for the game already, already a huge fan of wild west