Seamlessly Animated Lightning for an open source module I'm working on

Follow me on my new twitter!
https://twitter.com/quasiduck

Features

• Bezier Curves
  • Layered, moving perlin noise
  • Uniform dispersion of control points and much more

Do you have any creative suggestions for what I might create with it?

20 Likes

This is amazing, you could use it for some sort of lightning magic type thing.

3 Likes

how did you do that my mind is blown!

1 Like

Wow! Wonderful work :slight_smile:

This could be used to make some magical abilities and such I guess. What are you planning to do with this?

Wow!

I’m guessing the third and fourth video make effects when they collide with the baseplate.

I especially like the last one, because it looks like it could be used in circuits or other things.

Release and optimize where possible I suppose! :smiley:
I also want to make a version that will be easy to use for non-scripters if they wish to use it in showcases.

3 Likes

This looks amazing! This effect would fit so much in a game I’m working on right now. (I can’t say what it is rn hehe)

Whenever this releases I’ll definitely buy it!

Edit: Will there be options on how wide the lighting is?

I was going to release it with the thunder as a submodule but it requires more work. Therefore, I’m releasing it early. You can try it yourself here:

1 Like

WOWOW!!

I didn’t knew this was possible with current roblox s particle system can U show me a guide or a tutorial on yt about advance particle systems?

This looks amazing. Is it demanding for low end devices?

If you use a high PartCount and use sparks for multiple bolts, it can cause a dip in fps. Single bolts (without sparks) run fairly decently though. It also doesn’t have any LOD or view frustrum culling which I want to add in the future. Oh, and there is a version which uses ImageHandleAdornments rather than parts for a lil extra speed.

For now, you could just set it to Enabled = false when far away.

Oh ok cool. Do you have a showcase game showing all the stuff with this?

Sure. You can either just download the demonstration from the community resource link above or try it here,
Lightning Test - Roblox. (All effects are local only on that place and it was used as a benchmark so it might be laggy for you.)

This is very cool, I love your work and I’m looking forward to see more of it!

1 Like