Selecting a Part in workspace doesn't allow Renaming with F2

Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-02-28 00:02:00 (+07:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-02-28 00:02:00 (+07:00)

Reproduction Steps:
If you select any BasePart inside of workspace through the Viewport (NOT Explorer) and then press F2 nothing happens

Expected Behavior:
Being able to Edit the name of selected Instances

Actual Behavior:
Nothing happens no matter how much you spam F2

11 Likes

I try to do this very frequently. The explorer requires you be focused on it to use F shortcuts. I think renaming should be a special case and should work in the viewport as well because it is a very frequent operation.

3 Likes

As someone who models in Blender, I find myself often attempting to use F2 to rename things in Roblox. If this isn’t a bug, its “fix” should definitely be added as a feature.

1 Like

Hello! Renaming in this manner currently is not possible, however should you wish to see it in the future, please feel free to post a Feature Request . Thanks!

3 Likes

It works fine when selecting the object in Explorer though? The bug here is the inconsistency despite using the same selection system. If the Explorer didn’t support F2 renaming either it would be a different story.

That statement probably came from an engineer and was passed along. The only justification I can imagine for it is there being a level of complexity involved in moving the focus from the viewport to the properties widget / explorer widget AND focusing into a textbox or starting a rename. AFAIK nothing else in Studio can currently do this. The piping is probably more complicated than it sounds, and makes this effectively a missing feature, and not a bug with an existing feature.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.