Sending objects between servers

Hello everyone!

I am creating a universal script for some of my games. I am looking into ways to be able to send game scripts to each server from a “hub” server.

The hub server would be where players teleport to the game of choice, and when teleporting, I would like to send the game scripts to the server by some means (as I plan to update the engine frequently).

The reason I want to do this is that I do not want to have to manually update each game, so I would rather place my edits into a folder and have the teleportation hub send the objects directly to the server when a player joins.

How can I achieve this?

1 Like

Universe scripts are a feature being worked on right now and will be hopefully on Roblox soon! You can see that Universe Scripts are on the 4th Quarter on the 2019 Roadmap.

This will probably help you with your problem in the future. Until then, I don’t believe there is a way to “send game scripts to each server”, but if you’re trying to send pieces of data quickly you could consider MessagingService which has just been released to the public 3hrs ago, at the time of writing.

If you want to send data when teleporting a player, you could look at sending data when teleporting the player using TeleportService, too! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply!

I will try to find a different way of solving this problem for now, I will write back here if I find a viable solution (that isn’t just updating every game :joy:)

Right now, you can’t send objects between servers and you shouldn’t. I wouldn’t quite recommend MessagingService or sending teleport data either, much like mario suggested. Universe scripts may be a viable solution when they come out, but I strongly doubt that they’ll be able to move objects between places like you’re suggesting.

This is actually an XY Problem. What you truly want to do is send scripts to games to avoid manually updating games, however your Y is that you don’t know how to send objects through to other servers. So now you’re stuck thinking that Y is your solution, when it’s truly not.

If you’re looking to avoid the trouble of manually updating each game, you are actually looking to use packages. This allows you to transfer assets between games and with a single update, update that copy of the package across all your games as well. I would advise taking a look at the package article, as well as announcement threads related to packages, to learn how to use them.

No need to send objects through games. Packages are your friend here.

3 Likes

NEW IDEA:

I believe I have found a decent solution…

LinkedSource

Using LinkedSources as scripts would translate to all scripts that are connected to the Linked Script, which can easily send to all games on all new servers (which I plan to implement soft shutdowns :stuck_out_tongue:)

Ooh, I didn’t know that was a thing! The more you know :smiley:

EDIT: I was just suggesting UniverseScripts, MessagingService or teleport data as forms of communicating between servers, not necessarily sending objects themselves.

I find that a great idea- and it appears to be the most useful solution (as I also was planning on using GUIs that change based on the server)

Thank you colbert & mario for helping me with this (quite short) hunt for a solutuion.

1 Like

LinkedSources can also help you transfer only scripts around, since those are game-level assets. They’re like packages except they’re limited to scripts. I would suggest packages though - they’re far more useful in the long run, especially if you want to transfer groups of scripts or even other objects. Just update the package in one place and hit mass update - all places in your game get updated with the new package.

@mario118118 In terms of server-server communication, then by all means feel free. MessagingService really is a gift for those kinds of things.

2 Likes