Serious Problem with Voice Chat Moderation

Sadly, due to the nature of the moderation, I’d recommend disabling spatial voice altogether to keep users safe from rogue moderation.

Unless you game actually needs it to function, that is. Although you may experience initial backlash, it will improve your game’s community in the long term, as many bad actors use spatial voice for malicious uses.

2 Likes

Well my game focused around users communicating through voice chat, it makes socializing 10x easier using voice chat then having to type out an hours worth of conversation. I did also plan to kick users under a certain age limit but many users make new accounts because of false bans also being new doesn’t directly mean they’re here for malicious reasons and on top of it it could be someone reporting people who have been on Roblox for years, you never know.

Well, I’d suggest allowing players to create private servers for free.

You clearly aren’t understanding the purpose of this post. We’re not here to find workarounds we’re here to highlight a severe issue with Roblox’s moderation. None of these suggestions are fixes for the problems we’re having.

The issue here is that Roblox’s voice chat moderation is broken. This post has been made with the hopes of raising awareness and pointing out the issue to Roblox.

5 Likes

Private servers could potentially mitigate the problem by providing a safe place for users with voice chat, but no, it is not a complete fix.

There are no fixes to this solution yet because only Roblox could solve it. But like most moderation issues, it’s probably on the community’s part.

Even if you were to utilize private servers, what stops people from still botting moderation on players or auto-moderation picking up on the wrong things in private servers; especially those games that are centered around meeting people like On Tap, there would be no point in using private servers as it would need to be a publicly accessible ‘private’ server.

2 Likes

It’s gotten worse now. Roblox added popups that show up whenever the AI thinks that you violated Roblox policies. I can’t say “death sentence” anymore (it’s a name of a drink in a game “On Tap”) as I will be given an automatic warning issued each time I say it. I began to fear that I might get falsely banned by this system.

4 Likes

Yeah, the moderation for VC is absolutely terrible. Most of my friends who have voice chat got a one day ban for not doing anything wrong, and earlier I got a message saying “We’ve detected language that may violate Roblox’s Community Standards” even though I never said anything wrong. Probably be safest just to turn off voice char until Roblox does something about this.

2 Likes

Considering how badly AI is at moderating images and meshes, it baffles me why they would go ahead and have AI moderate voice chat too.

1 Like

It doesn’t.

What it should be:
Player: hey, innocent123 is swearing
Roblox: lemme see. plays recording. innocent123 didn’t swear you false reporting scum
What it is:
Player: hey, innocent123 is swearing
Roblox: terminates innocent123

5 Likes

I’ve experienced these things myself as well as of recent. Numerous warnings and last night a 1 day ban simply because there was someone that managed to spam report me while i was having a casual conversation with friends.

Even my friend whom i was in on tap with were warned however they hadn’t said a single word and only really stood around me (nor have i heard them say a single swear word in roblox voice chats since ive known them).
The moderation log is incredibly outrageous especially if you look at the timestamps.

Friends warnings:

Before anyone mentions. I’m not willing to appeal it as its only an 1 day ban and not worth my efforts however it should be addressed as this is incredibly exploitative by bad actors as stated by the OP.

My ban log

11 Likes

If the Roblox Moderation team is genuinely committed, they could have simply explained this to us, but unfortunately, there has been no feedback from them.

3 Likes

Man speak, man wait, man get muted for no reason at all

So in short term, roblox moderation has a big problem on voicechat, and should implement a proper moderation process for VC. Not even today, 24.06.2024 they just randomly mute people.