ServerReplicator::OnReceive packet 144: BitStream string read: String too long by: 1015879

Hi all,

My game, Geobox https://www.roblox.com/games/2553556256/GeoBox-Explore-the-world was being tested today, when I encountered this error for the first time:
ServerReplicator::OnReceive packet 144: BitStream string read: String too long by: 1015879

I have never seen this error before and I do not know what it’s pointing at, have you seen this in your games? Is there any documentation as to why this happens?

4 Likes

This is the server’s ReplicaManager3 system (basically the thing that replicates game objects from server->client) throwing an error because somewhere in your game, there’s an incredibly long string in some instance which has been serialized into a bitstream, sent across the network in a packet, and the system is now trying to deserialize it (predictably, it doesn’t like this).

I’m just guessing here, but since this is occurring within the OnReceive() method on the server you may have some string being sent from the client that is simply too big. My advice is to specifically check the instances the client can serialize (there aren’t very many; I think just certain parts of the character?) for the offender.

1 Like