Several issues with trying to make a raycast ricochet

Hello! I’m currently trying to make a gun that ricochets in my project, it works as following:

It first does a raycast to where the mouse is pointing, simple stuff. When it hits something, it’ll reflect repeating the same process 3 times.

Problem is, if you aim infront of a character’s feet, it’s supposed to ignore the character(due to it being in raycastparameters exclude list) and just reflect the raycast, however, it reflects all 3 times, dealing more damage than supposed to. (I’m sure some people will exploit this glitch if I leave it in)

On top of that, sometimes when repeating the ricochet effect for the first/second time and on a closed area, it’ll go through walls instead of ricocheting off them.

How could I go about fixing those issues?

Here’s the “reflect repeating the same process 3 times.” part of my script, which is where I believe the problem is originating from.

local Direction
local Reflect
if Raycast then
	Direction = (Hit - script.Parent.Parent.BarrelTemplate.Position).Unit
	Reflect = (Direction - (2 * Direction:Dot(Raycast.Normal) * Raycast.Normal))
end

local counter = 0
		for i = 1, Values.RedRicochetCounter.Value do
			if Raycast and Raycast.Normal then
				local FilterTable = {workspace.Map.Regions}
				for i, character in pairs(workspace:GetChildren()) do
					if character:IsA("Model") and character:FindFirstChild("Humanoid") then
						table.insert(FilterTable, character)
					end	
				end
			local raycastParams = RaycastParams.new()
			raycastParams.FilterDescendantsInstances = FilterTable
			raycastParams.FilterType = Enum.RaycastFilterType.Exclude

local raycastParams2 = RaycastParams.new()
			raycastParams2.FilterDescendantsInstances = {workspace.Map.Regions}
			raycastParams2.FilterType = Enum.RaycastFilterType.Exclude

local RicochetRaycast = workspace:Raycast(Raycast.Position, Reflect * 500, raycastParams)
			local RicochetRaycast2 = workspace:Raycast(Raycast.Position, Reflect * 500, raycastParams2)

if RicochetRaycast2 then
					if RicochetRaycast2.Instance:FindFirstAncestorWhichIsA("Model"):FindFirstChild("Humanoid") then
						local Humanoid = RicochetRaycast2.Instance:FindFirstAncestorWhichIsA("Model"):FindFirstChild("Humanoid")
						if Humanoid.Health and Humanoid.Parent:FindFirstChild("CanDie") then
							if Humanoid.Parent.CanDie.Value == true then
								Humanoid:TakeDamage(Values.Damages.RedDamage.Value)
								print("also took damage")
							end		
						end	
					end
	                if RicochetRaycast then	
						Raycast = RicochetRaycast
						Direction = Reflect
					end
					counter = counter + 1
				end	
			end
		end

Script is a serverside, plays after being called by a remote event from the gun’s local script.

The “Raycast.Normal” raycast seen in the top of the script is the raycast that has it’s direction the same as the firing player’s mouse.

CanDie is a value in the character.

I’m sorry that I sent a long part of my script, that is due to me not wanting to have issues with not sending enough information.

1 Like

Also, might not be able to reply instantly, it’s pretty late for me, so I’ll check later

1 Like

I fixed the issue, and I’m going to be honest, I don’t even know how I did.

I decided to rewrite the script, making everything as readable as possible (since the sample that I sent looks and executes like a mess), and that somehow fixed the problem

If anyone finds this and are struggling to replicate the ricochet effect on a gun, you might have already searched for this post, but it was this post that helped me fix my problem.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.