Should I load a map clientside or serverside?

I don’t know if a huge map should load clientside or serverside, is it a good thing if I place in clientside, like is there any advantages if I place it in clientside and vice versa?

1 Like

Store it under RepStorage, and load it via the server. This will allow all players to have the same instance of the map. Storing it in ServerStorage has no use either (if you think it’d prevent exploiters stealing it), as once it’s loaded into workspace, it’s fair game, and they can just take it then.

I think I should be loading it clientside so It won’t lag in the server, but I’m still trying to think which is better right now because I’m uncertain about these options to choose.

I just told you to load it via the server? It won’t cause that much strain, and if its a map that’s supposed to be for multiplayer purposes then you should be loading it under the server.

It all depends on your use case.

In a recent game prototype of mine I was testing around with making a server-player custom replication system. It’s somewhat hacky and uses some of the ideas from here. The benefit of something like this (even though it’s not really a Roblox feature to replicate something to just one client) it’s so useful for saving client memory. If you wanted to load maps for each player individually, you could just store the maps in ReplicatedStorage like @NinjoOnline suggested. But as I mentioned having multiple detailed maps in there is a nightmare for client memory because anything there is stored there at all times.

What could this be used for? Game universes but all inside of one place. If you’re not planning on storing anything notable in ReplicatedStorage to load in don’t bother with custom replication - it’s hacky. And on top of that, if you’re just loading in a round game based map, don’t bother with putting it in ReplicatedStorage. Just load it in through the server. There’s no point in loading it in for each client. It would just eat up client memory with the maps being stored in ReplicatedStorage instead of somewhere on the server.