Should I Make a Custom Humanoid System?

I’m currently working on a game, and I’m unsure if I should rely on Roblox’s default movement and animation system or use a custom Quake-like movement system. (Or Brawlhalla, for example)

In Roblox, the movement and animations are ALL handled by the client. When you send your position to the server, it updates it for other clients to the exact position you gave it. That can be easily exploited by teleporting anywhere you want on the client.

In Quake and Brawlhalla, the movement is handled by both the client and the server, by making the movement look smooth on the client and simply have the server move the player to a certain direction. This system is much more secure than Roblox’s Humanoid movement system, because it only tells the server to what direction you want to move, which means you can’t teleport.

In short, Roblox’s movement system is easily exploitable, so should I make my own movement system that relies on telling the server to which direction you want to move?

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What do you do in the game you are making?

A multiplayer survival game that follows a story of multiple characters and events that affect all of Earth. My main concern is if I should be worried about exploiters using Roblox’s movement system to teleport to places and do other things. Anything else related to inventory and such is taken care of.

1 Like

i don’t have any actual feedback since i don’t have knowledge on custom controllers but I absolutely love that graphic lol

3 Likes

I would say that, if you can get it working, definitely do it! It sounds like a no-brainer because teleporting can mess up just about any game. I think this should be built into Roblox as well; the current system is so insecure.

I hope it works out for you

1 Like

Agreed, they probably should’ve incorporated it with the new humanoid controllers. Maybe a toggleable property in workspace could do the work.

This is how chickynoid works. It’s not really ready for production use so an alternative would probably be pretty well received.

1 Like

Oh yeah!!! I heard about Chickynoid, but I think I want to create something myself because I knew it felt unfinished. It’s currently almost 1 AM and I’m brainstorming ideas on how to make player bounding boxes on the server lol

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.