Should I use the ban API or a regular ban system instead?

I know how to create and do either, ban API can be useful since it detects alts. But problem is that it’s still kind of broken, you can’t unban yourself (or other players I think) and i’ve heard other stuff bad about it.

I also know how to create a regular ban system through the use of datastores, but obviously this does not have alt detection which is a downside. But it gives you more control and freedom of your own ban system.

It ultimately comes down to your needs. I would argue that your concerns about not being able to unban yourself are a bit unfounded – you shouldn’t be banning yourself to test the new ban service to begin with.

As far as I know, you’re able to unban people as well. There’s really nothing stopping you from making a hybrid using both a datastore powered ban system as well as the ban service, but it would be pretty redundant.

Data Store Ban System

Pros:

• You are able to unban yourself
  • Allows for customisation

Cons:

• Can be a lot of code to write because you need to account for all the features
  • Can fail if data stores fail, therefore resulting in banned players possibly not getting kicked
  • Uses your data budget and can interfere with other data store aspects of your game
  • No alt account detection
  • Cannot be used with OpenCloud API (I think)

Roblox’s Ban API

Pros:

• Alt Account detection (even if it’s not great right now)
  • Does not use data budget or interfere with data store aspects of your game
  • Allows for easier control over bans
  • Easier to implement
  • Does not fail if data stores fail
  • Can be used with OpenCloud API (not sure if data stores can after recent update)

Cons:

• You cannot unban yourself without an alt or friend helping (you can unban others, just not yourself)

That’s all the comparison I managed to come up with, please point out anything I missed. I’d go with the Ban API because personally I think it’s better and more secure. But, you can make the data store one more personalised to your needs and uses.

But, how else am I meant to test it?

Not from what i’ve seen: Ban API, The potential issue of soft-locking yourself, by not being able to unban yourself - #41 by Pseudoisochromatic

You can just ban yourself with the Ban API for 1 minute or something. That’s what I did.

I wonder why you’re not allowed to unban yourself though. What’s the reason? I will be using the ban APi though I just wanted to make sure, although isn’t it still in beta?

They just disabled Ban API requests in studio, which includes things like GetBanHistoryAsync. I think you might be able to unban yourself through the API but I’m not sure. If it is still in beta, I think it’s definitely a lot better than a data store system, even at this stage.

That’s so stupid, not allowing it in studio. You have to instead join the game?? And this means that if you ACCIDENTLY ban yourself permenantly you’re gone forever (atleast until roblox fixes it or something).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.