Should you avoid excessive use of remote event/functions?

Hi. So, I have a question regarding remote events.

In short, is it generally a bad practice to fire lots of remote events from, for example, a loop on the client-side in order to continuously do something on the server? Well, the answer is pretty obvious, its not good. But, just how bad is it? And is it worth revisiting a couple of old scripts to fix them?

Thanks.

Yes it’s generally bad. Could you explain more what you are using this for, then we can help you come up with a better solution. Also there is no way for us to know how bad it is unless we can see your script.

That’s his question, shouldn’t be hard to understand

1 Like

Always use events to move info this is bad you can use it only when you so need info but not always, this can raise server ping how it be with my game so I needed to create else way to get info

It’s mostly a question of principle. I had weapons in mind, but obviously, they need to continuously fire the server in order to update positions and simillar - so you really have no choice (or?).

So, the conclusion is, pretty obviously; no. It’s not good, don’t do it unless you really have no choice; if the only way to do it, is to fire it continuously, it’s not excessive - alas - it’s fine. As with most things in the world of programming, it depends on usage!

3 Likes

I agree with you. If you have different, perhaps more efficient ways to do the same thing, rather choose those options. Firing too much requests obviously has a negative impact on performance and causes connection stutter, in excessive amounts even event queuing. As long as the matter is about large amounts of requests, always seek the minimum and care about bandwidth limitations. Check about those in the post below (remember, the limit is 50 kb/s of data per player):

2 Likes