Significant recent increase in TeleportService failures

We’re running into a lot of TeleportService failures, including in Outlaster & Eviction Notice. These games have not been updated recently and have had no changes to the TeleportService code.

I don’t think this is specific to any particular game, as we’ve also run into it occasionally in private testing in different place files. There seem to be some other people who are also running into the issue, though these are not posted as bug reports.

The specific error message that comes up for users is “Attempted to teleport to a place that is restricted. (Error Code: 773)”. The place is not restricted, and is still teleporting most of our players, but often leaves multiple players behind in group teleports.

Outlaster: (last 7 days)

Eviction Notice: (last 7 days)

As far as I know, this issue is exclusive to reserved server teleports. The code used to teleport is:

local teleportOptions = Instance.new("TeleportOptions")
teleportOptions.ShouldReserveServer = true
game:GetService("TeleportService"):TeleportAsync(placeId, players, teleportOptions)

Switching to the older method of reserving a code beforehand and using that with TeleportToPrivateServer does not seem to make a difference.

I’m not sure when this first began happening, but our user reports of the issue seem to have started around ~October 4.

12 Likes

This needs to be fixed ASAP, my game is very heavily reliant on group teleports to reserved servers and this has basically tanked the player count and dislike ratio. I’ve seen some other people claim that it seems to be an issue specifically for players in certain regions, and I believe this is the case.

1 Like

Having your own players feeling like they been scammed, using private server. I used messaging service and for my case it seems the reserved server keeps shutting down before a player can even get in since its still able to publish a message in a bind to close event.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting the issue. We’re investigating and will keep the ticket updated.

8 Likes

Able to reproduce on a private group experience 100% of the time - I teleport to the reserved server, but the other person with Play (not Edit access) to the place/experience is unable every time.

Manually verified that the place permissions were correct in the Studio collaborate menu on both the starting and target place.

EDIT: Able to reproduce it 100% of the time for a specific person. Not at all for another. Almost 0 difference between both people

2 Likes

Would like to share having the same issue. Doing party teleports succeed for maybe 40% of the players. Tried with the TP Failed callback and pcall TeleportSafe() code from
creator docs — still doesn’t yield success.

Ended up using very hacky code that reserves the server, for-loops 10 times teleporting all current GetPlayers() each time, with a task.wait(1) after each attempt. It’s absolutely not how we should be using TP Service but my players arrive.

2 Likes

Hi @Robin5D , can you share with me your placeID and the 2 playerIDs that you were able to consistently reproduce the issue? thanks.

1 Like

In case it helps, I also know a player who I believe runs into the issue 100% of the time - their player ID is 643721005 and the place ID is 2830536364. They are always able to teleport by themselves fine, but whenever they teleport in a group, they either get hit with an error code 773 popup or they get teleported solo. That was before I implemented an automatic teleport retry with TeleportInitFailed though, so it might not be as consistent anymore.

2 Likes

i believe this is related to Error Code: 773 appears randomly when teleporting to a reserved server ?

we believe that is the issue has something to do with players being in different regions

1 Like

I’ve sent you a private message with all this info!

1 Like

We believe it’s caused by a misconfiguration in one of our systems. It’s been updated. Please let us know if you are still having this issue. Thank you.

3 Likes

Looks like this is still happening. Having this for some specific players still 100% of the time.

I haven’t had the opportunity to test with the specific person I sent over to you, but I’ll check and see with them as soon as I can.

EDIT: Replied in private messages with further info.

2 Likes

Looks like they’ve fixed any/all misconfiguration - both players this was happening with have had it stop happening, and I’m unable to replicate this with anyone anymore!

1 Like

Teleports, specifically to reserved servers, have been failing a lot more recently in Mini Empires - a game highly reliant upon reserving servers and teleporting players due to custom matchmaking.

I receive player reports constantly on a daily basis of players not being teleported correctly despite up to 3 retries per teleport.

I also get a ton of these errors which I’m unsure how to work around as players are only teleported when joining a match, which usually lasts anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes so the frequency is pretty low.

This seems like a separate issue (rate limited despite not hitting limit) or code issue (you unintentionally issuing a bunch of extraneous teleports). I’d open another bug report.

This is definitely related to some recent change made on Roblox’s end, and is a critical issue for my game.