Sip N' Munch: An Open Source Platformer

the one you reupload, the blue square

Surprisingly reuploading the animations didn’t work! Maybe there is something I am missing? Can you clarify on the blue square?

Meant these, forgot the old icons got changed
imagen_2023-11-27_205811363

If after reuploading and replacing the id’s the issue persists, make sure the animations are uploaded under the same profile/group as the game, and if nothing works, feel free to reach out in dms, I don’t wanna keep bumping the post.

1 Like

Those edits make my head hurt :face_with_spiral_eyes:

When using the egomoose port, trying to transfer it to a game, I receive this error? @Pelo_208

Hi, is StreamingEnabled disabled? If not you’ll want to either disable it or place the files somewhere they won’t get deleted (updating the script references). If that’s not the issue feel free to dm me a repro file and I’ll look into it when I have time.

Figured it out, apparently if you have any other models named “Terrain” it confuses the script lol, thanks for the response though!

1 Like

Is there any way to get this working on r6?

Yeah, you’ll want to replace the animations for R6 versions, and edit the scripts throwing errors so they use the R6 limbs and Motor6Ds.

Thanks! I was just wondering since I didn’t want to start working on a project just to realize I can’t do anything with this engine.

Hey there folks, it’s been a bit since I released the resource so I figured I might as well give you a little update on what’s planned to be added to the project.

Just wanna clarify that the main reason it’s taking so long is bc i’m redoing all from scratch besides the assets, and i’m working on it on the side, so no clue when it’s coming out if it ever is.

Campaign

This time around the plan is to offer a short campaign to serve as a base for you to learn how to make your own cutscenes, quests, etc. Plan being to offer 3 worlds and the already available world being reworked to serve as the game’s hub (gotta clarify the worlds themselves won’t be part of the resource but the hub will and so will most assets and code).

Right now i’m working on the 1st world, which will be released idk, at some point in time? as it’s own separate demo, and when I have time i’ll update the main game to work along it and I’ll release the rest of the worlds when, again, I have time. Here’s some footage of one of the 5-6 sections it will feature (keep in mind collectibles haven’t been ported yet so it looks empty on that regard):

(Anim pack used in the vids is from godofsun95 btw, not sure if it’ll stay on the final release as ik some people prefer keeping their anims but ty to them for the cool animation pack nonetheless).

Gameplay Changes

Removal of the Moveset:

Truth is, i’m not good at balancing movesets, and it really showed with the moveset SNM released with (I tried to go for something different, more momentum based, and it didn’t work). This time around i’m going the good old adventure game style, no moveset, just power ups and mechanics, here’s 2 of the powerups:

Bombs (blame gyazo for the bad quality most of these gifs have, I ain’t buying pro):

eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpbWciOiJfZWNjYWJhODM0MDkwZDM4ZDYzNmY3OWMyZTRlNjExYWYifQ.nSXEtLJ5z4930oeSBF52JOlrWq_cYLKjY3aD9TQbVsE-gif

Rockets:

ezgif-4-2f04763579

So there won’t be a moveset :frowning: ?:

The base game won’t feature a moveset, but the plan is to offer a new moveset separately, this one being a hybrid of the EH2018’s moveset and Egomoose’s i’m making for another game of mine, here’s some footage of it:

eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpbWciOiJfMzE4ODljZjY4MWUzZTJkYTQ3Mjg4MjBmZDRlOWJmZDcifQ.mZVPWhpSm3IjBZjcug2OiBSj4BIuFWlwullqwvOUtSc-gif

This moveset will offer:

• Double jumping
  • Rolling
  • Crouching
  • Diving
  • Long Jumping
  • Ledge grabbing and movement
  • Wall sliding

With some of these moves being chainable, such as the dive land leading to a roll and such. I’m also considering adding combat to it, but no guarantees on that regard.

This should suffice the need for a moveset in most cases, with the base resource allowing to pick between any of the available movesets out there, you don’t need to stick with mine.

New content

The plan is to offer a bunch of the content that couldn’t ship with the game originally, as well as reworking some of the existing one to feel more smooth, some of these include:

• New swimming system, with drowning only happening when you go outside the map’s bounds.
  • Ragdolls, because everything looks better with ragdolls (system made by me, as other systems just didn’t work).
    eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpbWciOiJfNTljMTNiNWRjNmU0MmNkNjg4ZjE4M2ZhYThmMDU3YmEifQ.ersWoxsruoew8cJ8UACzjoBhJd2utLwqSgag6Y2IMGI-gif
  • Loading screen so you can easly preload your assets.
  • NPC’s will very likely be reworked to be better optimized and support basic routines.
  • As previously stated, quests, cutscenes, enemies, etc. are planned.

Code and Organization Overhaul

Back when SNM was released I wasn’t very fluent on OOP, so while some of the utilities the game relied on used it, the game for the most part had 1 script per system and that was it, 0 modularity, which meant lots of added complexity when editing the scripts and making them work with each other.

Reworking how the code is organized:

I don’t quite like how the code is organized at the moment, so on top of relying more on nested modules for additional ease of usage, for this version i’m considering using one of the following structures:

1) Make most code modular and self contained

So it can be dragged and dropped with little to no issues (with exceptions such as code relying on the movement script which would be common), at the compromise of having repeated code (synced using packages, if synced at all).

Said categorization would be as follows:

• workspace > Code: Would still contain the game’s code.
  • Code > Client: Client side code.
  • Code > Server: Server side code.
  • Code > Shared: Self executing modules used both client and server side.

With “Goodies” and “Resources” not existing because they’d be hidden away inside the modules.

Pros:

• Beginner Friendly: Most systems will at most have a single dependancy (usually the movement script), so it’ll be easier to separate them from each other as they won’t have several dependancies like they do at the moment, this is benefitial for begineers who struggle forking the code.
  • Packages should prevent having to edit all the dependancies separately, so the workflow should be pretty similar.

Cons:

• Bad, terrible practice.
  • Code repetition, lots of it.
  • Due to the previous, more memory usage and worse performance.
  • Nested packages are annoying.

2) Make most code modular and categorized

You’ll still need to edit the code most of the time, but it’ll be easier to find than rn.

Said categorization would be as follows:

• workspace > Code: Would still contain the game’s code.
  • Code > Client: Client side code.
  • Code > Server: Server side code.
  • Code > Shared: Self executing modules used both client and server side.
  • Code > Goodies: Custom Utilities the game would use.
  • Code > Resources: External resources, usually not made by me, that both code and goodies would rely on.

Pros:

• Better practice than the previous.
  • Better performance.
  • Overall better code structure that will scale with bigger projects.
  • Easier to edit as no packages would be needed.

Cons:

• Beginner Unfriendly: Much like the current version, you have to manually go into each script with several dependancies and decouple them from each other to use something individually.
  • A billion dependancies, it is what it is.

Initially I was going with option one as i’d like the resource to be easy to use, but I think i’ll end up going with the second as I want the resource to be as easy to scale for bigger projects as possible, i’m going to be using this myself after all, but i’m open to suggestions.

Other than the previous:

• The game is now being made with Content Streaming in mind.
  • I’ll try to make all modules use Type Annotations for richer autocompletion.
  • Data will be handled in a better and more strict way using templates (datastore module has not failed me so far, so i’m sticking with it atm), and there will be an additional layer of simplicity to make the handling of it even easier.

And that’s about all the news about the game i’ve got atm, hoping to release the update this year but maybe I won’t have time to, we’ll see how it goes.

Any feedback or suggestions are much appreciated as always, if anyone needs help or wants to contribute to the project my DMs are open, as well as the post itself, socials are on the main post, and that’s about it, sorry for bumping the post wish there was a way to not do that.

2 Likes

Hi, nice! I checked out your last one, thanks again for sharing!

Is there a .rbxl or edit place?

Thanks

If you mean the update no, it’s nowhere near done yet, just wanted to share some progress (I might release a chunk of the code with the next demo but no promises). Once it’s out the old version will remain available as a separate .rbxl file, but until then you can just edit the place to access the currently available version.

1 Like

Holy crap! That’s amazing!
(To be honest, I should’ve tried to add powerups to my game earlier.)

This is so cool, hope to see the project be updated with this content! I’d love to incorporate custom powerups into my game!

1 Like