Skinned MeshParts are live!

Hiya! for clarification, could we know a bit as to what specifically is being updated? I’ve some issues with some of the skinned meshes for my custom ocean not loading in at all, and I’m not sure whether this is related. The issue is peculiar to debug as the ocean meshes are placed in a grid for LoD purpose, and even though every single property, child etc is the same, some meshes still fail to load, and truthfully I’ve no idea where to start debugging this.

It is an internal code change, so you shouldn’t notice anything.

This new change was not released when you posted this, so this must be something unrelated. Can you message me offline with a repro file?

3 Likes

We have noticed an issue with our skinned mesh we use for animating an ocean. The animation seems very slowed down, as if it is stuttering.

1 Like

Can you send us the place id, so we can take a look? Thanks.

2 Likes
  • When making changes to the mesh within a rig in script - eg. adding parts, changing textures or changing translucency, the rig may flicker back to the bind pose for a frame.

Has this bug officially been fixed? I don’t see it happening in Studio or live servers anymore (at least when changing the color of the MeshPart - I haven’t tested any other properties).

Below is a SkinnedMesh that is constantly cycling through rainbow colors on RenderStepped. Before it kept flickering back to the original pose for a frame whenever the color changed, but now it looks perfect.

5 Likes

Yes! Part of this latest change should fix certain flickering bugs, glad to hear it’s working! :grinning:

6 Likes

Ooh, time to test! Thank you for the notice!

Confirmed bug squashed on my torch!

1 Like

Here is the place ID: 5956037025

2 Likes

I have filtered it off as well, it should return to normal.

2 Likes

Some flickering has returned, though not as severe as the original issue. It’s mild enough right now that I would not have noticed in studio.

3 Likes

Much agreed. So far, I have found tutorials for deforming a single meshpart, and easily pulled it off myself after watching one. However, I have yet to find a tutorial for deforming multiple meshparts together, such as connecting a skinned upper arm and skinned lower arm to form an elbow. My own attempts to skin two simple shapes together have ended in failure so far.

When it comes to rig tutorials, they all seem to work with one mesh containing many bones instead of multiple meshes containing few bones each. It would be nice to see a step-by-step tutorial for connecting one skinned cube to another skinned cube (as two separate mesh parts) and showing them bend while being seamlessly connected. If I figure this out on my own, I will make a tutorial on it myself, as it needs more explanation than what the announcement provides.

3 Likes

I was working on a game using rigged characters and I was going to support custom animations but I couldn’t figure out how to do it, every attempt something was wrong whether it be something not moving right or my arms acting like my legs.

I hope they release something about how to make our rigs support updates that their releasing such as cage deformation which I still have barely got it working cause they only show how to do it on a single cube instead of what I would actually use it for.

6 Likes

Is there an estimate for this release? We’re waiting for this kind of behavior before swapping technology in our game, as we cannot use attachments with skinned meshes currently.

7 Likes

I have that same exact problem too

2 Likes

Skinned mesh welded on top of a skinned mesh! Will Roblox be able to handle it? The combined horse and avatar is 54k triangles, outside the limit of studio. The plan is to load them as separate characters, clone the avatar and glue them on top.

/crossfingers
Horse

5 Likes

Unfortunately, this effort is not going well. I was worried. I debugged as best as possible, and the model imports. However, I am running into a gauntlets of problems

I have:

1. Joined 2 rigs in blender, to create a combined rig. (Note there are 99 vertex groups/bones)
  2. eliminated enough meshes to get under 50k triangles. It imports, so its not an issue of size.
  3. You would think this is a Custom Rig, but the custom rig gets to the S15 portion (the rider) and gives up. Imported under R15, I get a Custom Rig warning, but the full rig loads anyway.
  4. Now I’m running into classic deformation errors, animation loading issues.

(This is a Custom Rig import)

(This is an R15 Rig import. This looks correct, even after the warning.)

Animation editor with “good” rig.

2 Likes

OK, solved. This deformation and displacement was human error. Apparently, I was taking precautions, accepting all scale and rotation settings in blender while auto-keyframing and while the animation was playing. I added so many random transformations… after manually deleting hundreds of scale animations, everything started to work again.

It does look like R15 is the superior import method. Even after the above fix, custom rig was still malfunctioning. Now its time to add back in all the missing mesh and start coding!

4 Likes

Are there any plans to make the skinned mesh’s collide box accurate to the bone movement?

1 Like

What exactly are the use cases for this? Usually, you can just have a box “welded” to a bone to act as a hitbox.

Mainly for physics. I have big creatures in my game, I’d like for the players to be able to interact with it and climb its slopes and such. Even then, it’d be nice to not have to work around the huge box as attaching a part to the bone is just a workaround…