Skinned MeshParts are live!

Yeah no im so fustrated. Theres NO way to get phsycis to work. You need to weld everything, and that essentially just bricks it all. A special constraint that does not weld, only serves as a conenction instead of motors or welds, would be VERY HIGHLY appreciated. Sorry.

1 Like

I said something like this some days ago, but Iā€™d love to implement this into my game, except that thereā€™s no clear guide or documentation on it.

You say that this amazing new feature is ready but whereā€™s the developer hub page? We should have the steps laid out for us to follow in a clear, concise manner instead of throwing words around like ā€œskinning dataā€ and requiring us to scour an announcement thread with 200+ replies where you all answer specific questions one at a time, or have to manually look up an online document that may or may not be up to date.

Put something, anything, pointing us in the right direction that is intuitive to look towards. I know that announcements and documentation should mainly focus on the Roblox side of things, but there really needs to be at least a brief explanation or depiction of what to do within the authoring software beyond ā€œmake sure you did/set [X]ā€. The original post lists a lot of what we can do but not how to do it.

6 Likes

I agree with this so much. I want to use the feature but thereā€™s no documentation whatsoever. I cant use it at all and everything thatā€™s said to work does not. Thereā€™s no way to post/ tell staff about the bugs, and all the major bugs are being ignored. Disappointing.

5 Likes

I was having the same issue that your first question regards and the best solution I can come up with is to attach and animate an invisible part on the character that youā€™ll then attach the weapon to. Itā€™s a bit monotonous as youā€™ll have to animate two different objects (an invisible part and a bone), but, itā€™s better than updating a million CFrames on heartbeat, right?

2 Likes

As long as you assign the weight painting to the vertex of the mesh of clothing, weapons etc to bone of the character rig, i heard it will be deformed when welded together under same model even if the clothing and stuff is exported separately.

2 Likes

Okay, so I skinned this hair meshpart using the same bone structure as the human, then parented the hair to the character model, and it seems to be working. Could use the same premise for weapons. Still trying to figure out how this works.

7 Likes

Whatever happened to the mesh deformers? I thought they were really neat but I canā€™t find them anywhere.

3 Likes

Could we please get a update on this feature? Whatā€™s happening? Will the bugs users have reported get added to the list and fixed? Will the features requested get implemented? Whats up? Right now the feature is pretty much useless in most use cases as thereā€™s so many features lacking.

2 Likes

Yeah, what happened to this feature. Itā€™s useless now since itā€™s not getting updates

2 Likes

I have a problem where all the bones are visible even though it is isnā€™t checked and where the lag is unbearable. I get 60 fps without the model in, and I get 15 at best when my model is in. Idk what to do.

1 Like

Sounds like the problem one of my team mates has, as described in my post above.
Does the lag go away when you run the game? (click Play)
Also, what CPU do you have? We have tried everything we can think of, and our current theory is a problem with the CPU, though weā€™re not sure how or what exactly.

1 Like

Iā€™m late to the party, but now I can do some pseudo cloth and hair sim now alrighhtt

15 Likes

How does the Avatar Importer determine whether a bone should be removed or not? I use IK bones in my rigs and they are properly removed when I import, but sometimes it removes bones that I do need to exist and I have no clue why that is.
For example, I have a rig that has a weapon, and I like to give the weapon its own dedicated bone so I can rotate it freely and independently of the holding hands rotation, but when I import the rig, it imports all bones except the weapon bone (almost like it treats it like an IK bone?), anything specific I need to know here to prevent this from happening?

Edit: Figured out the problem, I had the bone named the same as the mesh it was affecting, I had to re-name the mesh to be something different and the bone imported in just fine.

1 Like

This is amazing, canā€™t wait to see more avatars with Skinned MeshParts!

If you havenā€™t noticed yet, LNX packages has skinned MeshParts! :eyes:

imagen

Also nice concert, Skinned Meshes worked perfectly fine in the concert!

3 Likes

Wait do they really? I didnā€™t know that.

1 Like

It isnā€™t. If you look closely you can see that it is still segmented.
Although the model in the LNX event game was indeed a skinned mesh.
wUgbXtu

But real talk, in the future I can see some packages being converted to use skinned meshes, and new ones being made solely for that purpose.

2 Likes

@Praeterian Is it possible the users with the slow down how the ā€˜show bones as contraintsā€™ turned on?
This can introduce significant lag on working inside Studio.

3 Likes

@MrNicNac
If you build your character as separate Parts - eg. as R15, then you can attached the cape with a simple weld.
Other attachments such as rigid sword would also just weld onto the hand.

Also, the cape, if skinned to multiple joints - eg. shoulders and body, would also be worn by just welding to the body.

3 Likes

Right, but I just want to clarify that there is currently no way to make it deform across multiple joints/parts (from the left shoulder, torso, and the right shoulder) if I use R15 - correct?

Or are you saying that I can somehow do that? Iā€™m aware welding to the hand would make the rigid sword move with the hand, but what I was saying is that with a single mesh-deformed rig (one part, with bones across all parts) there is currently no way (other than through scripting) to make it attach to a bone?

1 Like

@LaAeroooo The feature is still being worked on. Optimizations and fixes are being made.
Not a lot will happen between now and the end of the year, as code stability is the focus going into the holiday season.

Feature wise, there is not anything outstanding that I am aware of.
Are there requested features that you are waiting for?

Iā€™m not aware of any bugs that are not documented in the known issues list, if you are, please let me know.

And yes, more documentation, including several pages of 'how-toā€™s are needed, and this is being worked on.

4 Likes