Skinned MeshParts are live!

I noticed once you import it you should be able to resize it, If you rotate it any other direction it does tend to break it for some reason and scaling will end up breaking resulting in unwanted deformed bones.

1 Like

Yeah I noticed I can sometimes, not all the times without breaking the rig, resize the mesh before importing the fbx animation but after I import the anim and try to resize the mesh either the bones deform or in a rare case the mesh stays intact but when the animation plays itā€™s completely off.

I can consistently replicate deforming the rig, but Iā€™m unsuccessful in understanding what allows me to resize with having a ruined animation. Either way both leave me with a rig I cannot use and if anyone else knows a work around or knows anything I could be doing wrong I would greatly appreciate any advice!

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed somewhere around 0.01 Is a good scale for export to get a roblox character scale.

1 Like

Hello @vrtblox, I am experiencing what I believe is a mesh-deformation issue. Iā€™ve posted this in the #help-and-feedback:scripting-support category, but I am almost certain this is not an issue on my end.
Here is the thread:

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks itā€™s definitely good for the size but when I export the fbx animation file at the same scale it doesnt seem to match up. Have you run into that?

hey robie, why when i add a particle to a bone it act like if iā€™m adding particles into a big part.
while when i add particles into attatchments, all the particles come from the center of the attatchment.

attatchment and bone are the same, at least into propeties 90% of the bone is equal to attatchment.
is it some sort of bug?

4 attatchment with particles.

4 bones with particles.

1 Like

Please show us how a lot of these set-up steps actually look like in Blender and Studioā€™s explorer. You give example files and tell us things but nothing to help us know what weā€™re actually looking at.

Also, a lot of people, including myself are more visual learners. I have trouble parsing all this info when itā€™s just a big block of text. And PLEASE stop doing this thing where we have to read through an entire announcement thread and its replies to get all the info and possible fixes we need.

1 Like

I have noticed that when I rename a bone in studio, it stops being modifiable. Is there a reason for this, or is it a bug? With the current setup where you canā€™t just click on a bone in the workspace (WHY), this can cause issues.

Does anyone know how to make a startercharacter with skinned meshes?

1 Like

Iā€™m going mad trying to figure out all this jargon in the announcement post and how it translates to Blenderā€™s workflow.

1 Like

I think you have to upload it all together every time for now. Thereā€™s this one new game called Wizard Cats that handled S1 rig super well that Iā€™ve been trying to learn off of. It might help you out. They have a ton of interchangeable shirts that deform to the s1 rig

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™ll see if I can get in contact with one of the developers. It seems like a high quality game none the less. Sadly it seems like the owner isnā€™t as active as of recently.

You can selectively export the mesh you want it to be exported, by selecting the bone and that mesh. No need to have it as an entire mesh with rigs :slight_smile:

@RobieTheCat when will this be done? Because Iā€™m really dependent on this feature right now and am waiting for this to be accomplished. Whenever I import my S1 rig through any option, thereā€™s ways Iā€™ve made for the StarterCharacter to work, but tools (tool class objects) donā€™t weld to the character. Is there a way to accomplish this with attachments that skin with the mesh? Because I heard that attachments werenā€™t importing correctly in the Custom feature, but you also recommended the Custom import feature for R15 compatible characters???

Iā€™ve found that I can achieve my goal by making the handle (a MeshPart) with a armature deform modifier in Blender and just putting that MeshPart inside of the character model that acts as tool (or even hats and accessories). But this isnā€™t efficient if Iā€™m going to script it like I would a Tool class object.

For clarification, I have tried welding the toolā€™s handle to the Character-modelā€™s MeshPart, but the tool stays in the global positional value of the MeshPart, rather than welding to an attachment or position of a bone. I saw your script earlier with the gun following the hand bones, but that seems a bit overkill rather than just making attachments deform positionally and globally (rather than just visually and locally). Currently if I put an attachment in blender the way you showed above in your examples, it doesnā€™t actually change the global positional value of the attachment when it moves with the meshpartsā€™s bones in Roblox once imported. Itā€™s completely visual. I suggest making the importer aware of when attachments are being put through with a MeshPart and track the attachmentā€™s true position in relation to the animating and skin deforming character. If what Iā€™m saying doesnā€™t make sense or you need clarification I can post my project, videos, and pictures of my problem if youā€™d like to see what Iā€™m talking about.

PLEASE further explain how this all goes together. Iā€™ve said this before but I need to elaborate.

The example rigs are a nice addition, but without knowing why things in the example rig are set up the way they are and why that all works, weā€™re kind of left in the dark as soon as we try to do something even slightly different than the established ā€œrulesā€ that our games might need. Also, stop assuming that us developers on Roblox, a platform that appeals to beginner developers, will automatically know what some of this jargon means.

For example, use consistent wording. When you say ā€œJointā€, do you mean a joint in the authoring software? the ā€œBoneā€ object in Studio or what the authoring software calls a ā€œboneā€? a Motor6D?

Can I make skinned accessories to work with rigid R15 parts?

ā€” makes no freaking sense. Why are we putting skinned accessories on rigid R15 parts? Itā€™s already established how to attach rigid accessories to rigid R15 parts, unless maybe ā€œrigidā€ means something else in this context; but that would be absurd. Right? Iā€™m assuming you meant ā€œskinned R15 partsā€ and go from there.

The accessory mesh needs to be skinned to joints named as per the R15 body parts.

So, are we basically taking an empty armature and rigging the accessories to that armature where needed orā€”? In what way do we import that?

This is only a small portion of my confusion but I hope you all get the idea.

This is driving me absolutely insane trying to wade through a combination of this incomplete announcement post, important additional information found in the 400+ replies, and what unconfident inferences we have to make from the example files provided. This is not an ideal way for ā€œempowered developersā€ to learn. We really do want to integrate these features in our games, but this is making it so much more difficult than it needs to be.

In other words, do try to remember that we donā€™t have the same background knowledge and expertise that you all writing these instructions do. The documentation, official or otherwise, badly needs to reflect that. Same goes for DevHub articles.

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure you are already aware of this, but I havenā€™t seen many reports on this bug. When you attempt to change the TextureID of a skinned mesh in the character, or add/remove parts from the character it can cause the character to appear to refresh and t pose for a moment, as seen in this video and image.

Video of this bug occurring in my transformation script.

The split second T-Pose frame.

This T-Posing/refreshing bug has been a HUGE issue for me to work around, and in some cases like changing the eye color etc I have found absolutely no work around. If it were to be patched soon that would be amazing.

11 Likes

I concur with the normal human called Snooooooperrrrā€¦ brrrrzzt.
Thank you, he speaks for us all I believe.

I would like to add that, something which would be massively useful for many of us developers is the following.

ā€“
I enjoy how we could put meshfiles into brick parts, then paste Decals in them to color/texture certain sections of them, even using the ImageColor3 to adjust color if desired.

I would really love for Mesh Deformation to have at least something similar to this, so we could customize the colors and textures on certain mesh parts. It would be of great use thank you.

I hope I explained it right. :cry:

4 Likes

anyone know why this isnā€™t working?