Skinned MeshParts are live!

i asked this aready, but the dev of this skinned mesh update told me to if i had to choose wich one i woud like first. size bones or being able to use shape keys, i said size, them he responded me but you can do sizing with shape keys.

shape keys is not the same as sizing, shape keys is good for some cases while others the normal sizing is better, like squash and stretch for cartoon animation.

I mean Iā€™d rather use shapekeys for controlling character shape as well as moving facial features such as the mouth precisely without requiring any facial rigs, but bone size will also be extremely helpful. I want to see both implemented but I can wait.

I agree both bone scaling and blend-shapes are useful tools and I expect you will see both eventually. Thanks for your feedback and patience. :+1:

6 Likes

Hi @Ravenshield, thanks for the feedback, I will try to answer your questions:

1. Skinned meshes should not crash, can you provide a model file? Do you know whatā€™s happening in the game to trigger the crash?
  2. Performance implications are hard to estimate in general without comparing the specific rigid and skinned versions. If you can reduce the total number of vertices in the skinned version then yes, it should in theory be faster, but how much faster is hard to say. The biggest advantage of using skinning will be the improved visual quality of the result.
  3. Yes, we are currently working on making attachments work with bones! Thanks for your patience.
1 Like

Iā€™ve been having issues where my skinned mesh just disappears, usually if the roblox tab isnā€™t focused.

@RawEggTheGreatIX we recently fixed a bug that was causing skinned meshes to disappear randomly in some games. If you would like to test it before it is released, in about two weeks you can try turning on the SkinUseSkeletonAPI Fast Flag in the Advanced Features menu. If youā€™re still seeing problems after that please let us know.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your feedback, and helping to identify issues.

Please welcome, @Sir_Bedevere who is taking over Skinned MeshPart issues.
Iā€™ll still be around, but heā€™ll be handling the remaining threads.

6 Likes

so yeah, something like a weight preview and rename in the mesh parts woud be nice to have.

@Dyzcroll, these are both great ideas, and theyā€™re on our roadmap. :+1:

2 Likes

what idea?, i talked some in the past but never got responded.
wich of them?

by the way, cant use custom bone appearence in blender, if i use custom bone appearence roblox dont load nothing or if load it load the animation will be all broken.
example.

1 Like

while when i add particles into attatchments, all the particles come from the center of the attatchment.

@Dyzcroll We are currently working on a fix for using bones with constraints that should hopefully also solve this issue, thanks for your patience!

2 Likes

I have noticed that when I rename a bone in studio, it stops being modifiable.

@IdontPlayz343 the bone names are used to map the meshā€™s skin weights to the skeleton, so currently they canā€™t be easily renamed, but itā€™s on our roadmap. Thanks for the feedback.

2 Likes

This was fixed very recently. At that point in the next two weeks you can try turning on the SkinUseSkeletonAPI Fast Flag in Advanced Features if you would like to test it. Please let us know if you still donā€™t see any improvement after that.

2 Likes

Importing animations for skinned meshes, can turn out heavily messed up.

To repro, import an avatar, scale it up/down, then import its animation. It can have the whole animation rotated, scaled up, or completely distorted.

Are you still seeing this crash? If so, can you attach an example fbx?

1 Like

This is a known issue and is our roadmap to fix. Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

Hi, would it be possible to generate simple Skinned MeshPart shapes at game runtime?

Iā€™m thinking of a plane. My use case is a skinned mesh ocean. Generating the plane at runtime would/should allow me to dynamically change the resolution. By resolution I mean the distance in between the nearest bones. This way I can make sure everything is still optimized on low-end devices.

I think Unity has a feature like this.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a glitch in game in which one of the rigs decide to flop on the ground and die.
[clip 1 ] (gyazo.com(https://gyazo.com/ed3db7aaae915a96066f7ed3277db695)

[clip 2 ] (gyazo.com(https://gyazo.com/d61236b5f58df2c218e32e85abbb9aa4)

:+1:

3 Likes

Can confirm, happens on one of my games as well.

https://gyazo.com/76be02bbd7df9f287cf3b2104980202f

1 Like

Yep, Roblox youā€™ve changed/broken something with how the root bone on a skinned mesh works. It seems(?!) to be (double?!) transforming the root bone by the transform of the mesh part now? This completely screwed up a game Iā€™m working on where I dynamically set the transform of every bone manually. What gives?

Could you guys make Lola with a school uniform or with a wedding dress?

Oooooh, thanks alot this is really cool. There is one problem though. Previously, when you would add a new skinned object to a rig it would automatically place the mesh visually and have it follow the model how its meant to, but now looking back in my place rigs where I added hair/clothing too after donā€™t have correct placement but the placement of their actual cframe (i think).

4 Likes