Small asset scripting

About Us

Hello. I coordinate the development team for the largest SCP Foundation genre group on Roblox (65k+) but recently we have been too short staffed.

Some of us
@Quinnicious - Deputy Head of Development
@devSparkle - Senior Developer
@BusinessBull - Asset Building Contractor

About You

In order to apply for this job, you should be:

• a DevForum member (trust level 2);
  • an experienced scripter;
  • a pragmatic problem-solver;
  • easy to work with;
  • available at least 2 hours per day;
  • used to balancing quality with quantity and speed.

Please note that we are preferentially looking for someone who does not have any background or knowledge regarding the SCP genre, although in most cases it is not a dealbreaker if you are familiar with the genre.

About The Job

We are looking for a scripter to code assets for us on an external contractor basis. Such a job would involve you receiving a list of assets to program to the best of your ability based off a written description, with you being able to decide how many and which assets from the list you would like to complete.

This is an example description (ignore the Special Containment Procedures paragraph) of an asset you would be asked to script. Please note all these assets would be pre-built and you would always be able to ask for building adjustments to aid you in your task.

Payment

We are open to discussing whichever payment type is the best one for you, should it be a set price per asset, per time period or others. In total, depending on quality, quantity and overall speed, our budget is 10,000R$ to 50,000R$ - although we are quite flexible.
A contract specifying the agreed payment and non-disclosure clauses will be provided.

Contact Us

If you are interested, please message me here on the Developer Forums.

Thanks for reading! :smiley:

-Raf

3 Likes

I hope you’re aware you’re not legally allowed to use SCP assets unless you make your derived work CC-BY-SA, which means your game must be copyable and redistributable and allow people the ability to modify your game. Basically, you’re not legally allowed to use SCP assets unless they’re free to use. You’d also have to attribute every article you reference and the wiki, which Roblox doesn’t let you do because of off site linkage (see Allow off-site links for licensing purposes if you want this to change).

If you use a specific SCP item or tale, you must attribute the individual article as well as the wiki. If you are using a general SCP Foundation idea (like a character, Group of Interest, or the concept of the Foundation as a whole) you only need to attribute the wiki in general.

You also can’t use SCP-173 if you’re making any form of revenue.

You cannot use the sculpture [of SCP-173], or its likeness, for commercial purposes.

9 Likes

I don’t quite understand what needs to be scripted. Based on the example description you gave, it just seems like we’d be putting a ParticleEmitter inside a transparent brick, which requires no scripting at all.

• That license only indicates that they CAN share their works if they want to, but they are also free to adapt it commercially. Doesn’t say they HAVE to make it free for everyone, just that the intellectual property they are using isn’t able to be copyrighted by themselves.
    Source: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
  • On their website licensing they do indicate to give credit, but they don’t need to link it to the Wiki, just put somewhere in the game credits saying, “Monster 195 was imagined by x40plushyfairy”.
    The website does say they need to link it, but the License does not, and the person who says they need to link it says that he is not a lawyer. I would trust the law over a moderator of that website.
  • They aren’t allowed to use, and I quote, “SCP-173, SCP-111, or SCP-1926.” Those are just three monsters out of hundreds so the game can still be realized.

Basically, if a scripter wants to do some work for these guys, I don’t think they’re working for a project that’s going to get shutdown anytime soon.

1 Like

Doesn’t say they HAVE to make it free for everyone

Yes, it does.

4.b

You may Distribute or Publicly Perform an Adaptation only under the terms of: (i) this License; (ii) a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this License; (iii) a Creative Commons jurisdiction license (either this or a later license version) that contains the same License Elements as this License (e.g., Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 US)); (iv) a Creative Commons Compatible License. If you license the Adaptation under one of the licenses mentioned in (iv), you must comply with the terms of that license. If you license the Adaptation under the terms of any of the licenses mentioned in (i), (ii) or (iii) (the “Applicable License”), you must comply with the terms of the Applicable License generally and the following provisions: (I) You must include a copy of, or the URI for, the Applicable License with every copy of each Adaptation You Distribute or Publicly Perform; (II) You may not offer or impose any terms on the Adaptation that restrict the terms of the Applicable License or the ability of the recipient of the Adaptation to exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the Applicable License; (III) You must keep intact all notices that refer to the Applicable License and to the disclaimer of warranties with every copy of the Work as included in the Adaptation You Distribute or Publicly Perform; (IV) when You Distribute or Publicly Perform the Adaptation, You may not impose any effective technological measures on the Adaptation that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Adaptation from You to exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the Applicable License. This Section 4(b) applies to the Adaptation as incorporated in a Collection, but this does not require the Collection apart from the Adaptation itself to be made subject to the terms of the Applicable License.

On their website licensing they do indicate to give credit, but they don’t need to link it to the Wiki

Fair enough, the CC-BY-SA states “to the extent reasonably practicable”, but you do need to link to CC-BY-SA.

What they’re referring to is the Intellectual Property. If this guy makes an SCP game it’s not saying he has to make the game free, but the ideas are free for other people to adapt in the same way he has.
He’s not using assets and models from the wiki because the wiki is merely a compilation of ideas and stories, thus he needs to make his IDEAS free in the same way that the original did for him.

He’s free to adapt his game commercially so long as he doesn’t try to copyright SCP ideas.

1 Like

I didn’t say you couldn’t have game passes or developer products or whatever, I’m saying you have to make your derivations free for others to use and adapt.

I’m not sure I understand where it says that you have to make your game free to modify, or even free to begin with.

Other people can use your ideas in the same way that you used the SCP idea originally to build a game, but the original works are not a functioning game, they’re just ideas and stories.

1 Like

Any worked derived off SCP branding is required to be CC-BY-SA.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.