Snow ParticleEmitter

Hello. First of all, thanks for coming. So the question is about if I can keep spawning the snow but with a ParticleEmiiter around the player only and not in the building. I am using the ParticleEmitter because I want to use a texture for the snow.

I searched a lot in the DevForum inside but i couldn’t find it. Because I am doing this, I want to make the game unlag. If you put so many parts in the game for the just only snow it will be laggy. That’s why i want to make only players around.

If you have any idea about this, please tell me.

3 Likes

Any idea on this. Please tell me.

1 Like

Hey there!

A couple weeks ago I had the same question and found this post by Apenzi1. He used the exact method you described by using some moving parts that follow above the player’s character locally which have particle emitters in them.

I simply changed the image used and other properties of the particle emitter(s) to look more natural. You can see the look I accomplished in my game here.

You don’t have to modify the scripts at all to get it to work, but I personally made some changes. I added a raycast to check when the player is underneath terrain (e.g. in a cave or beneath an overhang); it stops snowing when they are in such positions. I also made the ParticleEmitter clone on runtime so that I don’t have to edit multiple objects properties. I noticed some of the code wasn’t needed for my purposes so I removed that and I added an option to hide the snow as well. It also only snows during certain hours of the game day and I limited the Y axis movement so that it cannot snow underwater.

Thankfully, using this open source code it only took me a couple hours to get these results (couldn’t include a clip because the file was too large).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.