Some improvements ive done on my low poly lobby. (Looking for more opinions)

Looking for more criticism.

Unrelated to the post, just me explaining why ive been inactive

And ive been really inactive lately here due to some things ive been needing to get done with real life. real life is a pain. Family has been busy with getting jobs ever since we moved, we still gotta move into a new house AGAIN. And next month ill be getting a new pc so i can learn blender and what not and still gotta learn scripting. So ive been BUSSYYY.

Anyway, here are some photos of the updated version, but still don’t believe i am finished. One island is missing details as i’m stuck on what to add

Photos

If you are from my last post on screenshots of the maps and gave me ideas, and dont see them. Its either A. because I forgot to do them
or B. I just didn’t have the right tools to do them yet.

Alright criticize away!

Things that are new here

Things ive changed: I remade the bridges like 3 times already, but still unsatisfied with them…
Ive added rocks! Those took me a bit to figure out how to do with basic studio tools. But finally got them right… I think?
More trees instead of the same ones!
More paths.
Dirt, vote board and new vote buttons.
Boxes
Fences
Some random logs and a axe in a log!
Yes this may not seem like much but im trying as best as i can right now with how busy i have been

OH FORGOT TO ADD, If anyone has any ideas for like, fun things to add to the lobby. Cause I know some lobbies have fun little things for people to do until the game starts

2 Likes

The entirety of the place, in general, looks great! But just from my opinion, the bridge looks out of place with it being straight as a ruler, the bridge could use some curves like this one displayed in this picture (I do not own this picture)

Or it could hang the other way like this:

Everything else seems fine to me except for those two buildings in the first picture that has nothing in them and the spawn location (in the same picture) being out of place. But other than that, everything looks good to me, great job! :clap:

4 Likes

Make the path(s) lined up with the bridge. So when the player get off the bridge, they are automatically on the path.

1 Like

the 1st bridge there catches my eye the most :eyes:
ill for sure have to try to make this later when i have time.

and yea i havent quite got to filling in the buildings yet.

For my short and quick answer, I think your build could really really benefit from some height variation.

To make use of this you could do one of two things I’d recommend:

1. Raise one of the (preferably smallest) islands entirely so that it sits higher than the others.

• This will really help with the “flatness” in your build and distract from the empty spaces.
    • Along with that, this technique may also help with your bridges as you can variate the style for this particular area, or experiment with other modes of elevation such as ladders.
  2. Add raised sections on the pre-existing islands to add some variation to the monotonous landscape. You can think of this technique more as the “rock” technique because you’d use this the same way you would place a big rock to add variation. If you’re confused as to what I mean, here’s and example I quickly whipped up:

EDIT: As a side note, if you’re looking to do one of the curved bridges mentioned earlier in this thread, I’d suggest downloading the plugin Archimedes Two for easy curves if you don’t already have it! You can find it here.

2 Likes

Things are getting better, but maybe, some more buildings on the last image may be better, I am not really the type of person to criticize people’s creations but, more buildings, a matching skybox and maybe a bit of shape in the bridges. Maybe, also add details in the walls such as rocks or debris. Apart from that, great blender build, NegateError!

1 Like

Looks good! Maybe add a bit more to the exterior walls? It seems a bit simple and low detailed compared to the rest of the build

There seems to be lack of completion.

Since the size is really small, there is no need to spread assets out; you can place as many assets as you would like. To give the build some personality I recommend using multiple materials, playing with part properties, and playing with colors. Symmetry isn’t a requirement either.

Your cylinders placed on the floor have the default color and material, I recommend making it a brownish wood.

I recommend making the bridge more curved as well.

Articles

Building Optimisation | Tips and tricks!
Best style/layout for builds - #2 by Aotrou

1 Like
  1. Maybe a mini obby of some sort
    2.`make the fence posts uneven and maybe different from each other
  2. A little island in the center of the water
  3. A sign above the voting area stating what it is
  4. Dirt on the walls looks a bit weird try using rocks?

This is a pretty ok map all things considering, and you probably will make it much better with your new pc

well its not done yet :slightly_smiling_face: i just post here to show what ive got done so far and if theres anything that needs to be changed. so this way i have things done before i go any further.