Some objects are trapped internally selected in the engine until you manually re-select it

(This is hard to reliably reproduce but happens frequently)
An issue that happens is that if you Play a session of Studio while already having something selected, there’s a chance where when you stop, the object will always stay selected until you re-select the object manually.

Here’s a screenshot of it occurring:
You can clearly see that the Selection Service is telling me that only this one part is selected, but the Properties window is still presuming something else is selected, it was a spawn part I have selected before hitting PLAY.

Note: I’ve been able to repro this once on an empty baseplate, so it could be just a race condition issue.

Addendum: It appears to only really affect the Properties gizmo, usual selection commands like position/rotation/scale handles do nothing on the ghost selection.

16 Likes

I’ve been able to reproduce this issue sometimes while doing this:

• Open the animation editor
  • Select a valid rig using the Explorer (because for some reason selecting in the 3D world is limited to unknown parts)
  • The editor should work, but the selection highlight should still be there
  • Close the editor, check selection
3 Likes

Thanks for the report! Looking into it.

2 Likes

This has just started happening to me

2 Likes

Are you on the latest version of Studio? The bug is hopefully fixed now. Please let us know if you can still reproduce it.

4 Likes

Yes, it was fixed since yesterday for me

3 Likes

Just want to do a quick bump.
Today (October 20th 2023)
I’ve encountered the bug again on the latest version of studio, so it has not been fixed yet.

2 Likes

I could reproduce the issue numerous times too, it just happened randomly and I’m not able to provide any reproduction steps. Extremely annoying, as it’s easy to edit properties of an instance I never intended to change. Getting the selection using SelectionService in this condition returns an empty list, attempting to set to an empty list does not unselect the stuck instance. The only way to effectively unselect it is reselecting it.

3 Likes

This might be a different bug (but similar in scope). Happens to UIs as well

However, in the explorer, it doesn’t actually select it. It just looks like it is selected but isn’t. Repeatedly selecting the UI element and then de-selecting it makes the selection box go away.

3 Likes

I get this a lot. I’m not sure if this is relevant but it seems that it happens most often for me with objects that I’ve duplicated. Selecting either the duplicated or the original part can lock it into a ‘selected’ state for me sometimes.

1 Like

I’ve had this three or four times this week. The most recent time, I didn’t notice for a while, and I selected another object aside from the phantom selected one and changed some attributes on it. As a result, these attributes were applied not only to the object I intentionally selected, but the phantom selection as well. I finally noticed when the attributes started appearing in the properties panel regardless of which object I selected (although they were not actually applied to the other objects in my game). Manually selecting and deselecting the phantom selection fixes the issue.

2 Likes

I just experienced this again this morning with slightly different behavior - re-selecting the object didn’t fix the issue. It didn’t correct itself until I changed a property of the incorrectly selected object.

1 Like

Another attempt of the fix has been released today. Hopefully this one works for you all!

1 Like

Unfortunately I think I just encountered this issue again. I noticed while working that the ClassName, Name and Parent properties were empty in the panel, but I didn’t put the pieces together in my head and just continued working for about an hour. Eventually I tested the game to find that I had accidentally renamed the fake-selected module, which had caused an error.

I immediately closed Studio before figuring out what the root cause was, so I don’t have any screenshots.

A new fix has been released and it should also prevent similar regressions. Let us know if it works for you.

1 Like

none of the fixes work, still experiencing the issue today