Sound Copyright and Roblox Owner

Where in the ToS is this discussed? I would like links and information on all the legal concerning Roblox sounds.

I have a benefactor (or a possible cause of catastrophe waiting to happen) who is sending me the most excellent Foley and field recordings out there! Problem is he’s not the best English speaker, but from what gets across he’s cutting and mixing from Youtube videos from who knows where. Sounds of structural stress, pipes groaning and bending and making weird noises and such.

I am getting links to other Roblox users’ uploaded audio. They have favorites even though they are not for sale. What am I getting myself into using those? I have no idea where they come from. But if I recall the copyright wave just changed copyrighted stuff to royalty free music. Is Roblox protecting me from the monstrous legal world? Or do I have a false sense of security?

There’s a matrix for this, something like:

Copyright V (CreativeCommons credit v nocredit)
MyRobloxUpload V (OthersUpload onsale v offsale)

Simplifying but showing there’s so much to navigate I’m not sure what to do.

2 Likes

Are you talking about this?

This is helpful in saying “no, we won’t destroy you legally over a sound”. But it doesn’t capture the area of using others non for sale items - I know it’s a band wagon appeal but wow look at all those favorites - perhaps it is like selling group ranks, a undefined area where I can just go about my way? Any user who has approached me with IDs like this has been very casual about it as well.

2 Likes

Don’t use other people’s not for sale items.

In-game you can do a check with GetProductInfo and looking as IsPublicDomain property, or check manually on the website before using it.

Similar questions answered on other threads:

1 Like

I have a fan of my project saying, “hey, use my sound” and it’s not for sale. Should I still tell them to put it on sale before using it?
The mentioned APM collection and this method of verifying on Roblox’s count the usability of the purchase would seem to be for a general interest.
I just don’t want to get my foot in the loop because of higher up action that overrides their personal permission to use the sound.

1 Like

The messages I linked to extend beyond the APM stuff (which is all free to use in your game) and addresses concerns about other non-APM sounds for use in your game, which appeared to be what you were asking for.

If your friend has given you explicit permission to use a sound that they have uploaded, then you should be fine. If your friend is telling you to use the sound of somebody else (neither of you two) that is not free to use and that you haven’t received explicit permission to use, then I would advise against it and encourage you to contact the person who uploaded it to either make it free to take or explicitly give you permission (known as licence) to use it.

Nothing overrides their personal permission, so long as the sound is actually theirs and they uploaded it, and if they received the sound from somewhere else that the licence given to them can be extended to you freely.

1 Like

If from youtube, the creator of those sounds can by all means claim them with proof that they are his. But if they are your friend’s (as said above) you are free to use them as he has given them to you.

Now if they are from a library on a website or a plugin, you need to check the license that comes with the sound. Some websites may say that the sounds you buy cannot be used for anything monetised (although very rare).