Sponsored Experiences moving to Ads Manager

Developers don’t have to pay as much “useless” tax anymore (in my country this is how we view it as not getting to political but our taxes go down the drain). You can put all the money you would give to the government into your own business to help your business grow, instead of giving it to the government all at once.

Robux isn’t real money, so it’s easy to know exactly how much money you need to pay taxes on and can control how much you convert to fiat currency.

You’re still paying the same amount of tax in reality, but it feels like you’re making more money because now when you buy an advertisement with real money like USD or GBP, you can tell the government it’s a business expense. Before, you’d use Robux, which isn’t counted as taxable income or a business expense.

Example:
Please do not use anything above/below as financial advice, it’s purely a theoretical scenario.
Developer spends 3,000,000 Robux a year on advertisements, this works out to around $10,495 give or take transaction fees. If the tax rate is 10% (not a real tax rate, just for example) and the developer earns $100,000 then they would have to pay around $10,000 in taxes to their respective government. In this scenario we are down $10,495 (3,000,000 Robux) in valuation and still have to pay $10,000 to the government.

Now instead of using the 3,000,000 Robux we use the $10,495 USD to advertise. We deduct this $10,495 USD as a business expense and now we technically only owe the federal government $495 in income taxes. In this scenario we still have spent our 3,000,000 Robux ($10,495) and only pay the federal government $450.

Obviously, I am not a lawyer/accountant either and my post is purely speculation and theoretical; but just trying to clarify how this can be benefital change to an individual who file their own tax reports.

7 Likes

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the confusion. You do NOT need an age verified or ID verified account to use Ads Manager. We have updated our documentation to reflect this.

Thank you.

33 Likes

That still does not explain why we need to provide our address.

23 Likes

Its a nice change, tho I’m still very much against the new “Add credit” system,

Then why don’t they just buy robux with the credit card instead of buying “add credit”, this whole add credit system feels very greedy.

7 Likes

User ads aren’t working for me. When I click on the ‘User Ads’ option, I get redirected to the dashboard page. However, the ‘Sponsored Ads’ button is still functional. I’m unsure how to utilize ‘User Ads’ now. Moreover, I haven’t encountered any examples of using immersive ads to promote other experiences. Why would anyone currently opt for Ads Manager? I’m confused, especially since Ads Manager appears to support ads only within other experiences, and not on the home, discover, or search pages yet.

7 Likes

I have some mixed feelings about this whole system. The majority of it is actually great - it seems it’ll boost discoverability, give you more flexible options for how you use your ads, and you only pay for what you’re advertising for (only pay for each play, or impression, depending on your target).

The main thing I don’t understand about this is the ad credit system. Why not just allow us to purchase ads directly with Robux, and tax it to match roughly the same price these ad credits would provide? And USD can still be an option, and just be paid immediately rather than having to purchase ad credits with that currency?

It’s just a bit confusing, the most confusing part being that you need a minimum of roughly R$5,000 robux to start an ad (from what i’ve heard from previous posts), meanwhile you can exchange R$2,850 worth of credits. Why not just set the minimum to 20 credits so that nobody gets locked out of funds? Not only that, but such a high price barrier makes it much harder for smaller developers who aren’t willing to spend $50 USD to get started making games. When I bought my first ever advertisements nearly 2 years ago, I had to convince my parents to allow me to spend $20 USD, and then only spent about $5 of it at first because I wanted to test the waters and make sure it was a safe investment. With this new system, a person like I once was wouldn’t be able to get started developing on Roblox without taking significant risk (especially given that advertisements are one of the only ways to get players considering how punishing the algorithm is). It’s fine if you want to keep prices this high, but expect a decrease in new developers if you do.

14 Likes

I agree, why do you need 5000 robux to start an ad, It just seems useless?

9 Likes

Absolutely insane that it requires 11400 Robux to start a daily campaign, that’s basically over 100 USD

Why is this misleading?

18 Likes

They already announced that they’re removing those.

3 Likes

Due to the expensive nature of the minimum ad credit purchase (and how it uses the DevEx rate) I do not see myself ever advertising on Roblox ever again. This is a severe misjudgement by the team since small adverts (such as A/B tests) are now impossible. This is insanely frustrating to see and I hope some of these tight restrictions can be lifted soon.

19 Likes

Yes, but not yet. Why aren’t they working now? I still see banners and other form of user ads on the Roblox website, so shouldn’t they still be working?

4 Likes

You still make them from the same place you did before. They’re not moving it to the manager since they’re gonna be removed soon

3 Likes

I described the problem in my original post. The user ads aren’t working for me.

3 Likes

Oh, I thought you were confused on why user ads weren’t creatable from the manager. Not sure why they aren’t working

4 Likes

Never mind. Accessing the user ads through the dashboard’s account’s user ads button works. However, accessing them through the dashboard’s group user ads button doesn’t. So, I accessed them through the account’s user ads button and then clicked on the group button in the legacy Roblox site interface. They must have made an error there. Regardless, it’s functioning for me now. By the way, in your opinion, are sponsored ads superior to user ads? Especially since user ads are soon to be removed.

3 Likes

This is a terrible change. Why in the world do you need my billing address to sponsor a game on Roblox? There is way too much personal information that is being asked for that can easily be hacked/leaked.

18 Likes

I am a big fan of these changes! I just would like one thing to be clarified.

Typically, if you were to run, let’s say a 50k Robux sponsor, the impression count would be half of a 100k Robux sponsor. Since the exchange rate into ad credits is the DevEx rate, would 50k Robux worth of ad credits result in the same amount of impressions as a 50k Robux sponsor under the old system? Then would it also result in half the impressons as a 100k Robux ad credit campaign? Thanks!

5 Likes

Are there any plans to adjust the conversation rate for robux->ad credits?

I think it would be beneficial to both parties if it wasn’t devex rate, but an increased credit reward per robux instead. To give developers more incentive (and just more money :wink:) to spend on ads.

4 Likes

Why don’t you just let us use Robux? You just convert them anyway.

16 Likes

that’s cute, the post that predicted this change as the next step some finance/MBA had come up with to further extract more $$$ from developers was just mysteriously deleted. It’s dressed up with a few features to soften the blow, but the ultimate goal here looks to be to reduce the value of earned robux and incentivize more cash into the ecosystem. Someone’s getting a promotion! :slight_smile: Since going public, every change introduced goes toward this goal, developers be damned.

17 Likes