StarterGear no longer a thing?

I have been having issues with the shop in a game i am working on, because StarterGear is no longer showing up in players (On the client side). I have not been able to find any information on why this is happening. I tried loading up new places, and using alts and StarterGear is not going into anyone, anything, on any game. Was it recently changed to only be visible to the server? I have checked the release notes etc… and cant seem to find anything.I was wondering if this is a bug, or was intentional.

7 Likes

Can confirm this is a thing, just opened a Baseplate and playtested and there’s no StarterGear under my Player in Players.

edit: This sounds like a bug, as the wiki (StarterGear) describes in detail about what StarterGear is, and it hasn’t been updated.

1 Like

I just tested this in my game which I use StarterGear in to give players tools on joining based on their gamepass or not and received the tool still despite it not showing up in the explorer.

StarterGear contains gears that the player owns, which is inserted into the players backpack on spawn. As clarified by the Developer Hub page.
"If a game allows gear, all of a player’s appropriate gear will be inserted into StarterGear when the player joins the game"
I’d personally advise against using StarterGear to give players a gear based on a gamepass, as you can easily do that with a Server-Sided Script with the gear stored in either Replicated or ServerStorage.

StarterGear is appearing for me. But only on the Server. Switch to the server view in Accurate Play Solo. I believe this is intentional.

1 Like

Ah, for some reason I thought it’d be visible on client.

My script is a server script and is not allowing all gears owned by a player, rather if they own a gamepass they get a sword with a trail rather than not.

Ok, It is showing in the server view. But about a week ago i was able to see it from the client. Im just wondering if it was changed recently or what.

Read up on Accurate Play Solo here
Accurate Play Solo

It was showing client side even in the normal game, not just studio. In the shop i had it locally check the players backpack and startergear (As a backup) to check if they had the tool. If they did the text changed to already owned, and it would stop the event from firing if the button was clicked. I noticed it stopped working when you could no longer purchase from the shop, and an error came in the local output saying that the starter gear was nil.

It must be intentional, ill just look at it as a permanent change and rewrite some of the code. I was just wondering what happened, since i never heard that this was going to happen.

If this is not intentional, then you can create a Bug Report via the Approval Process. Else, you can create a Documentation Request, requesting that the Dev Hub page be updated. However, I’d advise asking Roblox Staff/Top Contributors via PM to be sure.

lol i forgot that startergear was even a thing

No changes have been announced to StarterGear. I assume that the client cannot access it though.

I hope this is only a bug, I see no real reason to remove StarterGear

2 Likes

StarterGear can be accessed from both the client and the server.

Got that from the StarterGear devhub page. As it’s documented to show for the client, this is a bug and should be reported.

5 Likes

It’s a relief that this is a bug and not an intended update. Startergear has been convenient in the past.

1 Like

Yes, usually the simplest reason is the correct one. Right now I don’t see starter gear in either studio view, I’d assume that it works fine in a server because I’ve received no bug reports about it.

Some of my games still rely on StarterGear, so I too am thankful this is only a bug.

File a bug report or post information on an existing thread about this issue. This thread itself is not a bug report, it’s a question.

Please do not assume your issue will be fixed by posting about it here in Development Support. You need to file a proper bug report if you think you have found a bug, or they won’t address it, because they won’t know about it.

(cc @SolelySoul @alex_ander @RetroInfinity)

1 Like

Please use Platform Feedback if you think you have found a bug.