StreamingMinRadius and StreamingTargetRadius (Streaming Enabled)

Can someone give me a in-depth explanation of what StreamingMinRadius and StreamingTargetRadius is or does? I am trying to get my game running under StreamingEnabled since it lags because of the amount of memory used, but I don’t know how to use it well. I tried messing around with it in Studio but it is still a bit confusing. Any help?

2 Likes

I had a similar question too. Streaming Enabled information outdated?
This was back in December and still Wiki hasn’t documented either of those properties still which is a bit disappointing.
But Wsly describes Streaming Enabled pretty well too which you can see on the thread.

The only information about the release was the release notes

I know. It will be a lifesaver if I actually had a answer to how these 2 things work. But they aren’t putting too much focus into it at the moment I guess.

1 Like

Then file a documentation request in #platform-feedback:documentation-requests through the post approval procedure. Don’t expect things to happen spontaneously if you don’t make staff attentive to the issue.

4 Likes

I haven’t. This is my first article about it so I was just asking a question to see if anyone had the answer, but I will try to do what you said.

I also don’t have access to make a new topic there, so I’m stuck here.

Post approval procedure is described in the second paragraph of the rules thread (you were asked to read when you joined the forum).

uJordy is already writing a request for this, so no worries.

2 Likes

This is what I think it does since I’ve tested this feature in the past.

StreamingMinRadius is the minumum range of loadable chunks in studs. For instance, if this was set to 100, a player with a not so capable device will be forced to load a 100 studs radius chunk.

StreamingTargetRadius (this part is theoretical) is the chunk size that the client’s device would be expected to load if the device is capable or probably is the maximum radius of the chunk size to load. For instance, if the minimum size was 100 and the max is 500, a player with a powerful device would be able to load the 500 chunk radius.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ll see if your answer relates to answers given later on.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I would of basically thought initially but its better to have clarification by engineers.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know we could do that. Thanks for the information!

The pages for StreamingTargetRadius and StreamingMinRadius have been documented on our backend and queued for publishing. They should be live soon.

2 Likes

Please reference the updated documentation for streaming:

We turned on an improvement for streaming - local parts will no longer be streamed out, unless they have remote ancestors.

2 Likes