Struggling with scripting

Im trying to learn scripting as much as possible but i dont progress i would say im in intermidate level and I dont know what to make or what to even do to advance ,people just say watch basic videos but thats the thing I already know the basics what should i do now? also people tell me to practise but i dont know what to practise?

If you already know the basics, you should probably watch TheDevKing’s advanced scripting series. Link: Advanced Roblox Scripting Tutorial #1 - Tools (Beginner to Pro 2019) - YouTube

its is kinda boring for me and sometimes i wanan quit when i watch it

Just create any game you want, by knowing the basics you will progress with the game until a new system you are adding becomes impossible, in that moment you know you reached your limit and you’ll be forced to research in documentation and DevForum, causing you to progress in your knowledge.

Testing yourself by creating a whole game its a good way to know your limits and push you to learn more or more advanced ways to achieve any system

could i get your discord perhaps

And idk what game i should create the only games that comes to mind isnt a game its just like anime stuff such as advanced swords systems and a combat system and i dont know where to starts on either of them

I myself try to practice creating something and implementing whatever new topic I’m researching. I have created a Roblox game dedicated to just dumping new practice creations and testing them in it. In my experience, this practice has worked for me no matter what the difficulty of the topic is. Want to practice some For Loops? Just create a script in the Workspace or ServerScriptService and use the Roblox Documentation as a guide for syntax. Try printing something in the output like 100 times. Maybe you want to learn how to use Bezier Curves. No problem. Read the documentation (can be a portion of it, as long as you get some idea of how it can be written) and try to generate a curly path with it.

If you are struggling with coming up with an idea on how you could implement a specific topic, I’d recommend searching through social media, or even here on devforum. Look at people’s creations and try to mimic them with what you know.

I’d say learning a more popular language, like Python, could help you grasp the basics of programming in general and give you a place to start when learning Luau. If you do know the basics of Luau, that’s great! Can you think of a really cool game or just an event you would want to code and make it? If not, then think about what you are missing. Maybe there’s a built-in function that you don’t know about but need.

In conclusion, I’d say the most efficient/productive way to learn would be to practice with what you know and not rely on Roblox videos on youtube. The only time I’d recommend searching for external sources, is when you researching for things like webhooks and APIs.

2 Likes

Thank you alot now i think about it mimicking peoples creations is a great idea

1 Like

Don’t watch tutorials for general scripting knowledge, you’ll forget 90% of it. Start with a basic game. Use free models, but edit them. I learned 85% of my knowledge today from editing and understanding how and why scripts do what they do.

1 Like

What type of game should i make

Watch the dev king i guess his tutorials will be good ,if you have a problem you can ask about it

If you really want advance your scripting skills I would say one of the best ways to is just by scripting stuff. Though, there are some things that you do really want to know when scripting

Those are the main things I can think of that are pretty important to writing good code for games