Studio Beta: CSG Has a New Engine - Vroom, Vroom, Vroom!

sorry if this is off topic but will the new csg engine support client side csg? Because if so then you could make realistic demolition in real time without the apparent delay.

Good news, this should now be fixed. Let me know if that’s the case or not.

1 Like

Hi, I can’t comment specifically on the client side support, but demolition / destruction scenarios are definitely being considered as potential use cases of the new CSG engine.

3 Likes

Yes, I am also experiencing this issue. I can’t negate things without getting the error code.
Example:

Unioning this is fine, because the negate part doesn’t touch it at all.

If I put the negate part in an intersecting position, this is what happens.

Problematic.rbxm (7.8 KB)

1 Like

How do I disable v3? I really want to build but studio won’t let me

1 Like

Unions do not render specialmeshes correctly:

Un-Unioned

Unioned

2 Likes

In the top left corner under file → Beta Features.

Hi, Can you share a model so that we can look at the issue? I believe this is a known issue (and we are working on a fix) but I would prefer to make sure that’s the case. Thanks

Thanks a lot for the model. I will have a look at this.

Hi!, sure, there they are

Models.rbxm (107.1 KB)

For all models try de-unioning them or add a new union, if you do that the error appears

Thanks!

1 Like

Has this issue going around with the Legacy CSG (V1) been fixed? Older unions done with V1 before this month has been corrupted and cannot be separated using V1, It shows a -7 error.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, this is an issue with V1 unions. Have you filled in a bug report for this?

Can you share more details? Is it happening for all V1 unions or only the ones created around a certain date?

It’s happening with complex unions like aircraft fuselage or aircraft wings made with CSG V1 before this month. According to my friend last month, those complex unions on his planes never had any -7 error until this month

As far as I know there’s been no changes to V1 lately. Please fill in a bug report and we will investigate that issue.

mesh unioning when :cry:

its taking too long

1 Like

i just ran into the problem of when i try and union a corner wedge it says it supported but it wont merge with other parts

1 Like

Can you share the model with me? I will have a look.

1 Like

Forget about my comment. I didn’t read properly your message. Sorry.

Corner wedge should be supported but is not at the moment. It’s a miss on our side. I hope to have a fix for that soon.

2 Likes

I wonder if, along with the new engine, there could be a way to access CSG data, even if just read-only? I’m not sure if others think the same way, but I think there could be a lot of opportunities in being able to read the data. It most certainly is like that for me.

If not that, maybe raycasts could react to CSG changes, as right now, it appears they only react to the bounding box, not to the actual collision shape, which has caused problems in my game.

2 Likes

Hi, have you tried using PreciseConvexDecomposition as CollisionFidelity setting?

1 Like