Studio Beta: CSG Has a New Engine - Vroom, Vroom, Vroom!

It… it finally happened… CSG can now be more reliable :clap:

9 Likes

CSG with mesh parts is not supported (same as in V1 & 2).
But “under the hood” V3 is a (long) step in the right direction, in this respect :slight_smile:

21 Likes

But “under the hood” V3 is a (long) step in the right direction

does this mean that imported meshes will be supported with csg?

edit: i might of misread that reply

6 Likes

I feel CSG has been outdated for a long time so I’m very pleased to hear about this change. I’ve always tried to avoid using solid modelling because of corruption, but now this is fixed I can thankfully utilise the system more. This update will certainly give builders greater capabilities, which I’m very grateful for.

It would also be helpful to know what other issues have been fixed with the new engine :slight_smile:

After briefly testing this, previously corrupted unions are still irretrievable.

8 Likes

Unions corrupted like this actually lose their mesh data and collision data. There is no way to retrieve old union data because of this, its just gone, completely. (Which, is really unfortunate)

6 Likes

There’s a way actually :kissing:

9 Likes

Apparently un-unioning V2 parts flat out crashes the client.

13 Likes

Finally! CSG is being improved! Unioning had so many problems and I just avoided it but finally it is being improved. Can’t wait for for games with destruction physics being more responsive!

6 Likes

It’s nice to think that we can make use of CSG mixed with our mesh and parts again without half the build being gone next time you get on studio. Hours lost with CSG made me give up on it before. This looks great.

4 Likes

Is this just an improved CSGv2?

When this ships, will CSGv1 be removed? (please god no)

Most importantly, does this have backwards compatibility with CSGV1 and CSGV2 to help make updating unions to the new system accurately? CSGv2 couldn’t properly unsolve unions in V1, and CSGV2 also had issues with displacing unions, which makes V1’s eventual removal terrifying, for me.

11 Likes

Thank you so much for fixing the disappearing unions, I hated that bug so much. Also I love this update because of what possibilities we can get from it, like a concreate wall that can be penetrated through with a bullet leaving a hole in it.

6 Likes

I’m curious as to if CSG will also be more performance-friendly with this change, I’ve heard of CSG causing some performance issues at times.

3 Likes

It doesnt need to be now but roblox do you think there will be any support to meshes by the csg in the future?

5 Likes

I’ve had issues in the past with unions behaving properly and then disappearing randomly one day. Will this update prevent any further disappearances, or only in new unions?

3 Likes

That’s excellent to hear about CSG being improved. My one question is how robust is it towards part shifting or brickshifts? I had cases in where parts sometimes misaligned with it’s orientation or position in where there’s a small offset or gap after I union. CSG V1 would refuse/find it unsolveable to merge the two pieces unless it’s perfect. CSG V2 will work most of the time, but occasionally have brickshift issues. Sometimes, brickshifts are induced as when un-doing unions for modifications on existing unions on V2.

7 Likes

This is amazing, thank you! I remember it used it disappear in team create all the time

3 Likes

Does this apply to the Real-Time CSG system as well?

7 Likes

Not yet. For now (Beta) V3 is limited to Studio. Once we move out of Beta phase, we will work on making this new and faster csg system in-game.

11 Likes

Setting smoothing angle to 100 on my unions automatically crashes my studio.

5 Likes

One of our goals with V3 (beside speed improvements) is to make it as exact and robust as V2. Overall stability and usability issues is something we will continue improving on in V3 post beta.

10 Likes