Studio Beta for Experience Controls Available Now

Was adding a Respawn button really necessary? This is just as redundant as the Report button.

It’s not a CoreGuiType, if anyone’s confused on how to disable this. You have to use StarterGui:SetCore("ResetButtonCallback", false), though this will also disable resetting in the normal Roblox menu.

You could hook up a connection to GuiService.MenuOpened and MenuClosed respectively to toggle the reset button when you open/close the Roblox menu if you still want resetting to be available there.

(Note that SetCore/GetCore calls can sometimes fail, so it’s a good idea to wrap them in pcall.)

Also, like others have mentioned, it would be great to have a way to switch between having the controls on the left or right side of the screen.

11 Likes

Looks better, but im still kinda annoyed that we cant hide the shelf since the report button is forced to stay (which i find pretty unnecessary).

Any updates on allowing devs to hide the ui shelf completely if they choose to?

6 Likes

And a quick issue on mobile devices: Having the Experience Controls open and hovering over the Camera icon (your roblox avatar) causes it to instantly open the camera tab which is slightly annoying:

I love it, thankyou!

Some bugs:

It’s possible to hover over two buttons at once

Adding new buttons via this menu cannot be undone - the ribbon just grows forever.

5 Likes

Im really glad this was changed. While the UI is not symmetrical anymore, its now a lot easier to make your own UI, as the top right corner is not taken up anymore, and the top left was a pretty unsafe place for custom UI anyway.

Gotta say though, it looks a bit odd. I would have expected the 2 buttons to merge, ie: The Roblox icon button opens the experience controls, which has a button to go to the escape menu.

On second though, I feel like this was kinda unnecessary? Wouldnt it be better to just allow developers to disable the controls menu completely with SetCoreGuiEnabled? I feel like this would be totally justified in a lot of cases, like cutscenes, fullscreen uis, etc., since none of the options in the controls menu would be relevant in those cases.

3 Likes

I don’t believe this update properly addresses the numerous complaints. The controls being on the right weren’t the real issue - it’s that there wasn’t (and still isn’t!) a way to hide them. We still have yet to hear any compelling reason this behavior has been removed.

The new left-aligned controls further inhibit design possibilities located in the topbar. For example, the previous symmetrical design allowed developers to effectively choose their own padding between their UI and the experience controls - however, the updated experience controls forces increased padding (thus shrinking the already limited usable space) otherwise developers risk an inconsistent look:
Of course, this too would be solved if developers were simply able to hide the experience controls as many have been for the better part of a decade.

It is my belief that the symmetrical experience controls provide more flexibility for developers (developers can, and did, add their own chat button on the left side for what it’s worth) than the left-aligned controls, provided proper functionality is restored to SetCoreGuiEnabled() (which should have been a given!)

5 Likes

Trying to come up with a solution to this, but the forced report button just ruins everything. Why do I need to have this menu here?

I’m glad it’s now on the left instead of the right, but it’s still so unnecessary and frustrating to deal with. I don’t want this menu in my experience at all.

This experience disables every CoreGuiType, the reset button, voice/camera communication, AND is singleplayer. The only purpose of the report button would be to report the experience itself, which can already be done in the Roblox menu. It’s two clicks either way.

12 Likes

Hmm now I can move the stats to above and move the two left buttons but is there a API to check or the unibar thing is opened and when chat button is clicked I can use it to hide my custom chat button if menu is open so you still don’t have to click twice to open chat but if you open menu you don’t have two buttons then

And can there a API that disable all core Gui types include the Roblox menu for a short time what handful is for a black screen what apear for a few seconds or at least the unibar thing

Xbox one console looks cursed

5 Likes

Allow us to choose which side controls are on, stop forcing UI on developers.

12 Likes

Enum.CoreGuiType.Unibar

Or are you too scared that basically everyone who knows what they’re doing will likely turn this off the second it gets launched? Forced UI is not the direction to go with a platform that marketed itself around “creating your dreams” a few years ago. Whats happened to this vision?

8 Likes

I agree with you, we should be able to choose between different styles like 2014, 2019, 2023. This is a really good idea and i don’t have an idea why would roblox not allow this.

My honest opinion over this new topbar: it is really good but lacks customizability. (like everything else you guys usually drop, really…)

For that, I decided to make small topics, each with what I feel like the approaches could’ve been done as, or how the current additions could be improved.

Design of the Experience Controls:

I LOVE the new modernized look of the Experience Controls, but it is such a let-down we can’t modify their look in-game incase we don’t want that “modern vibe”.

It would be really great if we could edit basic properties in them, such as corner size, transparency, and maybe even size: yes, actually be allowed to scale them as we wish. (with set limitations, of course, we don’t want to go crazy)

For this, it would be nice if we had new parameters for StarterGui.SetCore for the appearance of the MenuIcon and the UnibarMenu, with access to basic properties such as:

1. BackgroundColor
  • Changes the background color of either the Menu button or the Unibar menu.
  1. ImageColor
  • Changes the color of either the Roblox icon or the Unibar icon.
  1. BackgroundTransparency
  • Changes the transparency of either the Menu button or the Unibar menu. (range of 0 <-> 1)
  1. ImageTransparency
  • Changes the transparency of either the Roblox icon or the Unibar icon. (range of 0 <-> 0.5)
  1. BackgroundSize
  • Changes the size of either the Menu button or the Unibar menu. (range of 22 <-> 66)
  1. ImageSize
  • Changes the size of either the Roblox icon or the Unibar icon. (scalar range of 0.25 <-> 0.75)
  1. HighlightColor
  • Changes the color of the hover highlight of either the Menu button or the Unibar buttons.
  1. CornerSize
  • Changes the size of the corner size of either the Menu button or the Unibar menu. (scalar range of 0 <-> 1)

(StarterGui:SetCore("TopbarAppearance", {**properties**}) | StarterGui:SetCore("UnibarAppearance", {**properties**}) )

With those properties available for us, developers, it makes it easier to adapt the new Experience Controls to look how we wish and want them to do.

UI padding of the Experience Controls:

The current padding spacing are, in my opinion, really good and well enough for my purposes, but they could be expanded on a little more, especially with the introduction of padding customizations.

Say you want something more compact in terms of size because this feels way too cluttered. Well, that should be possible with the addition of new StarterGui.SetCore controls, and in this case, it could be split properties, one for the MenuIcon and another for the UnibarMenu.

It would be nice if we were allowed to directly manipulate the padding however we wish, with still some set limitations, such as not being allowed to go past half of the screen.
(StarterGui:SetCore("TopbarPadding", UDim2) | StarterGui:SetCore("UnibarPadding", UDim2))

Small changes like this would be of great use to be able to manipulate the new Experience Controls as we wish. It’s important we manage to make them fit with the rest of our intended visuals.

Right-to-left change done to the Unibar:

I appreciate that you guys took opinions from the thousands of developers working on Roblox, but I feel like this change might have affected the other half that was fine with the controls being to the right of the screen instead of the left of it.

This made it so the right side seems… way lackluster than it should be, with the added nuisance of the left side now having two item elements, adding to the nuisance of tailoring GUIs to work around them.

I feel like a good approach for this would be introducing a StarterGui.SetCore parameter, something like “UnibarRight”, which when set as true should do exactly what it implies: sets the Unibar to be on the right of the screen, instead of the left.
(StarterCore:SetCore("UnibarRight", true))

This would be very useful for all developers that already worked on GUIs tailored to look superb with the new Experience Controls and would still give an opportunity to the other half which wants to work with these on the left side.

Unable to entirely disable the Unibar:

As of right now, it is impossible to disable the Unibar due to objects like the microphone, self-view and the report button. As useless as it may seem to outright disable the Unibar, sometimes it may be very useful in being able to do so, especially if your game requires that extra space to take advantage of.

It’d be very nice if the Unibar itself was a Enum.CoreGuiType value, like Enum.CoreGuiType.Unibar, because then it’d be easier to just simply disable it if desired by the developer.
(StarterGui:SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.Unibar, false))

Not only that looks way better, but still allows for other basic Roblox CoreGUIs to still be displayed onscreen, without being disabled in favour of reducing the Unibar’s size.

And if there’s a concern about other GUIs such as the chat, microphone, self-view, etc… then I also suggest making it so when the Unibar is disabled, it instead renders inside of the ESC menu. (like how it currently does render inside of it)

It would be very appreciated if an in-depth read was taken for everything that was said in this reply.

10 Likes

Right, and I almost forgot about this, but… whenever you are using the new experience controls, you are unable to edit your webcam input. That’s right, you cannot switch between cameras using the new layout, which is also a major let-down!
I cannot directly use my webcam on Roblox due to driver issues, which leads me needing to stream it using a virtual camera instead, but I’m unable to do so with the new controls.

2 Likes

When disabling Emotes in your game, the Experience Controls still give you a option to open the Emote wheel just for it to say that Emotes are disabled in the experience. Would be better if disabling emotes would just remove the Emote button in the experience controls

4 Likes

Are we forced to use the API to make the transition to the new top bar, or can we have a temporary workspace setting (similarly to deferred events) to let us deploy the new top bar whenever our game is ready for this change ?

1 Like

You are disabled at StaterPlayer ► Character ► UserEmotesEnabled
I’m taking the Local script to disable the MRU Slots, see 8th FAQ at Studio Beta for Experience Controls Available Now

local StarterGui = game:GetService("StarterGui")

StarterGui:SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.EmotesMenu, false)

Visit Disabling Default UI Elements | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub to disable it.
EDIT: New top bar ui codename is “Chrome”

1 Like

Console selection seems to be incorrect ATM:

1 Like

Looks good, except for some things that can be improved

• Why are the buttons too big?
  • Why do we need a dedicated button in the topbar to report?
  • Why do we need to open a menu to toggle chat on/off?
    Chat should have its own button next to the menu button. This update makes it harder to do the simple task of togging chat
4 Likes

Am I missing on something or… did the unibar icon get an update?

Supposedly updated unibar icon?

This is not the look I remember it having, and to be honest… I kind of dug the previous design more. (old design for reference)

Previous design of the unibar's icon.

I’m hoping this change has to do with customizability at least, else this just kind of makes the unibar visually worse in my opinion.

8 Likes