Studio crashes 100% of the time on my windows 10 laptop

Description

On my windows 10 laptop, Roblox Studio has started crashing 100% of the time. Whenever I try to open it, it says “An unexpected error occurred and Roblox needs to quit. We’re sorry!”.

Screenshot:

When and where it started happening

This issue has been happening for a few months already. I don’t remember exactly when this started happening. Studio works fine on my other PC, so this could just be an issue specifically on my laptop.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7490, with an intel core i7 processor, 8GB ram, and windows 10 operating system.

Steps that I already took in an attempt to solve this issue

I’ve read other posts about similar issues here on the devforums, however I have not been able to solve this issue. These are the steps I have already taken in an attempt to solve this issue:

• Uninstalling and installing Roblox & Roblox Studio
  • Restarting the laptop
  • Making sure that other apps are not clogging up the laptop’s memory

Reproduction Steps

I’m not exactly sure how to reproduce this issue because it’s not specific to a certain place, it just happens whenever I try to open studio. Whether I try to open a place by pressing “Edit” on the website or try to launch the Roblox Studio application, this happens 100% of the time and it only happens on this laptop.

Crash Log & Dump Files

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/crash-logs-dump-files/965709?u=spynaz

4 Likes

Hey there @Spynaz, sorry to hear about this! Can you confirm if the issue still persists after attempting the following please?

• Disable third party plugins ( File->Advanced->Manage Plugins)
  • Update Windows system
  • Uninstall/Disable any antivirus softwares
  • Check firewall settings
2 Likes

Hi,
I’ve tried your suggestions and the issue still continues to persist.

Disable third party plugins ( File->Advanced->Manage Plugins)
I’m not able to do this because I can’t even open studio in the first place.

Update Windows system
The Windows system is up to date :white_check_mark:

Uninstall/Disable any antivirus softwares
Check firewall settings
I tried opening studio after disabling my anti-virus and firewall, except the issue still continued to happen.

Keep in mind that this is only happening to Roblox Studio. If I try to play a game, Roblox’s game launcher seems to work fine. It’s only the studio application that crashes.

I don’t know if this could be related, but once a non-Roblox battle royale game continued to crash until I updated my drivers and changed the DirectX method to DirectX11. Maybe update your drivers? (Btw this was on desktop with a Windows 10 Pro OS)

Hey, try updating DirectX Drivers, and download vc redist
also, if they didn’t work try this:
Run cmd as admin
type “sfc /scannow” (this shall fix broken windows files)

Hey @Spynaz, have you tried the suggested options listed above? If those options do not work, can you try the following steps to see if it’ll fix the issue?

1. Type run into Cortana (windows search bar)
  2. Type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Roblox into run
  3. Open up GlobalSettings_13.xml with Notepad/Notepad++/equivalent tool
  4. Control+F for GraphicsMode
  5. Change the <token name="GraphicsMode">1</token> to <token name="GraphicsMode">4</token>
  6. Open Studio now
  7. If it still does not work try switching the number to 7
  8. Once you can open Studio: File > Studio Settings > Rendering > General > Graphics Mode
  9. Change the automatic setting for “GraphicsMode” to see if you can hit OpenGL
9 Likes

I’ve tried doing everything @aalbox and you said and the issue still continues to happen.

The “GraphicsMode” setting was not even in that file, so I added it in and tried the numbers 1, 4, and 7 but none of that seemed to fix the issue.

Hi @Spynaz

Can you ensure you are looking in GlobalSettings_13.xml and not GlobalBasicSettings_13.xml? If you can still not find it please DM me your GlobalSettings_13.xml file

Thanks,
ElephantMesh

2 Likes

Hey,

I couldn’t find GlobalSettings_13.xml in that folder. As you can see in this image, it’s not here. I tried showing hidden items but it still wasn’t there.

Try do a search for it with the Search feature

Sent some additional instructions to you via DM. Long story short - you should be able to see GlobalSettings_13.xml in your working version on your other PC. You can copy that into here and change the graphics mode per the above steps

2 Likes

Hi @Spynaz,
This looks to be driver/HW specific, to help us narrow this down:

Could you please share what Intel device this is, also the driver build it is running?

This info can be found if you go to Device Manager->Display adapters (underneath locate whatever display adapter you are using)->Right click on it, select “properties”, go to the “Driver” tab. Here you should see the full device name, as well as the full driver version number.

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.