Studio Design Refresh - Docking Overhaul & Ribbon Upgrade

For as long as I’ve used studio the properties window has been properly docked underneath the explorer, it’s how it was when I installed studio and I just got used to it and never changed it.
It should be docked like this, but that seems to be impossible now.

1 Like

I don’t have any problems doing that, I’ll have to try what you mean when I get home see if I run into any issues

2 Likes

That’s possible. Just drag the window to the bottom overlay section.

1 Like

As I showed in the video above that isn’t working. Whether it’s just me managing to break everything I touch or a bug I don’t know.
If there’s a trick I’m missing and you’re supposed to do something other than just drag it over the bottom of the window you want to dock it under I’d appreciate any tips.

(I’ve pretty meticulously gone over the entire window hoping to get it to notice what I’m trying to do to no avail)

1 Like

I might be a little late, but here’s something:

(I needed to capture my whole monitor to display the docking overlay. I apologize for the resolution of the video.)

Anyways, this is how it should dock. Does it work for you?

Also, why is RobloxStudio making its clone?
I rarely experience these issues, but it doesn’t seem to do anything.

2 Likes

Unfortunately not but at least that confirms that it’s just my install, thanks. I’ll do a fresh install later and I’ll try to get repro steps if it happens again.

1 Like

Seems like the docking/refresh update also broke some of the plugin widget features. They no longer initialize with the size in DockWidgetPluginGuiInfo and instead just automatically dock and undock on creation (even when initDockState is set to float), effectively making all widgets the same size regardless of what floatXSize and floatYSize you specify.

This is a major issue for plugin developers who use widgets since they won’t be able to control/manage the size of the widget in order to properly scale a plugin GUI

1 Like

I have recently encountered a few old and new issues with widgets. Some of the issues are likely due to the platform i’m using, which is MacOS 13.2.1.

• Grouping 2+ widgets together causes Roblox Studio to crash immediately.

• Creating more than a single widget under the same plugin global causes only one widget to correctly restore.
    This issue can be replicated by repeatedly saving the code below as a local plugin and simultaneously showing, hiding, and resizing the widgets to simulate a user enabling/disabling a plugin.

local newButton = plugin:CreateToolbar("Test"):CreateButton("Open Widget", "", "")

local newWidget1 = plugin:CreateDockWidgetPluginGui("3565624553",
    	DockWidgetPluginGuiInfo.new(
    		Enum.InitialDockState.Float,
    		true,
    		false,
    	)
    )

local newWidget2 = plugin:CreateDockWidgetPluginGui("980456234",
    	DockWidgetPluginGuiInfo.new(
    		Enum.InitialDockState.Float,
    		true,
    		false,
    	)
    )

newButton.Click:Connect(function()
    	newWidget1.Enabled = true
    	newWidget2.Enabled = true
    end)

• Changing the InitialEnabledShouldOverrideRestore perameter of DockWidgetPluginGuiInfo to true when it was false before does not apply.
    Change the InitialEnabledShouldOverrideRestore parameter to true after attempting to replicate the bug above.

2 Likes

For a few months I’ve been consistently having problems where studio softlocks itself from window docking issues. When it works, I really enjoy the new functionality, however, currently the instability is making it very frustrating to use studio.

Studio has to be fully restarted when this happens, this really sucks when you’re working on a games that take forever to load.

I don’t know if it is related to this but the Find All / Replace All has a 30% chance of fully crashing studio when clicking a result. This behavior started the same time the docking softlocking did.

RobloxStudioBeta_vgGrGOD3vq

1 Like

I’ve found that you just need to:

1 Like

Hey, I don’t know if you will see this or not due to how much time has passed since but shortly after this comment I managed to figure out why it wasn’t working, I was trying to move my widgets the old fashioned way instead of putting them in the tiles at the centre of the screen haha! My bad

2 Likes

I’m having a problem where windows docked to the bottom of the screen where output and script analysis usually are kept cannot be resized and shrink themselves to the point they end up off screen.
This happens when I have a script docked where the game render is shown.
I believe this is to do with some weird minimum window size constraint which just increases to some unreasonable levels - I cannot see more than 5 lines of output at best, at worst the bottom docking is completely hidden from view.

This was an issue introduced earlier this week with a Multi Cursor flag. The flag has been turned off today but it takes little time to go through our automatic testing.

1 Like

I’m having that same issue too with the latest update.

1 Like

It has been over a year, and still there is the ongoing problem with layout shuffling, please fix it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can you please give us more information? :slight_smile: What OS version are you running and do you have lots of plugins that are hidden? What does your typical layout look like?

There have been multiple team members focused on the layout issues for months. We’ve made great progress in releasing quick fixes that has greatly reduced the number of people impacted. In parallel, we’ve dedicated time to reproducing and root causing the issues (no easy feat given the actual problem causing it). Most recently we came up with a plan to update the layout system to fully prevent this issue from happening and work has begun. We hope to be internal testing it very soon.

2 Likes

I’m not Polo, but this Marco hasn’t answered yet.
Running Windows 11 Home (OS Build 22621.2070).

Layout Image (690x370)

No hidden plugins. Problem has also been getting increasingly rarer as time goes on, but I think I’ve noticed that it’s correlated to the following:

• opening new views when in testing mode, or during the transition to testing mode.
  • plugins (Rojo 7.2.1, in particular) undocking and expanding during testing mode.
  • [edit]: Also happens when changing client/server views.

I switched up my layout to have everything collapsed since Rojo will always expand for no reason:

Rojo

Hoarcekat (unproblematic before 8/20) + Crash

My only speculation in Rojo’s case is it doesn’t want to sync in testing mode. I think that it leads to Rojo making a new plugin window and Roblox Studio doesn’t think it’s the same window as the one prior to testing.

P.S. It would be really cool if we could get a native Studio Time Tracker

2 Likes

This happened to me with the terrain editor, then the toolbox, and I had to close both of them. Restarting studio a few times and after a few updates the issue was apparrently fixed, but it has happened in the past but more frequently.

1 Like

Thanks for the notes. I’ve passed them along to the devs. If you get logs (including any ones named “layout_”) those might be helpful too.

We are working towards changing our docking scheme/rules that will give us the ability to do the things we need to prevent corruption from ever happening. It’s a pretty involved refactor but it’s worth the time as the quick fixes we’ve done will never fully kill the issue.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.