Studio is Ending Support for Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)

Hey Developers,

If you are using Roblox Studio on Windows or a version of Mac OS that is newer than Mac OS X 10.10, then you can skip reading the rest of this post.

Please read on if you or someone you know is using Studio on a machine running Mac OS X 10.10.

Beginning November 1st, 2020 we will discontinue support for Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). This means that you will no longer receive updates or be able to use Roblox Studio on 10.10.

Discontinuing support is not an easy decision, but there are multiple drivers:

• 10.10 is no longer supported by its vendor, Apple.
  • We are upgrading our primary framework (Qt) this year. This will lead to multiple benefits such as potential for high DPI support, and flexibility for us to add awesome new features.

After November 1st, Mac OS will inform you that your OS is no longer supported for the application and you will NOT be able to run Roblox Studio.

Now is the time to upgrade! We support MacOS 10.11 and above! Please upgrade as soon as possible. Below are official Apple Support links to get you started.

Apple Support Links
How to update the software on your Mac: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support
Find out which macOS version your Mac is using: Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support

Final Notes
Remember this date: November 1st, 2020
ā€¦November 1st, 2020
ā€¦November 1st, 2020
ā€¦November 1st, 2020

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to me in DMs or post in the thread below.

Thanks,
Studio Team

121 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 15 minutes.

I donā€™t really have anything negative to say on this, it makes complete sense to not support out-of-date OSā€™s, but I do feel bad for the people who arenā€™t able to upgrade their OS due to hardware restrictions/reliance of Yosemite.

Iā€™m also wondering if the next macOSā€™s follow in Big Surā€™s footprint, which is really unappealing, how long until Roblox cuts support for Mojave? I donā€™t plan on upgrading anytime soon, because Mojave suits all my needs. I will upgrade if Apple reverts back to OSX style UI, and drops the iOS theme, but just saying, I hope that I never get left behind. I doubt I will, but Iā€™m just stating some potential problems.

34 Likes

This is a shame to see this go, but then again, this was needed.

11 Likes

Are you planning on shutting down MacOS 10.11 later on?

6 Likes

What do you mean ā€œeligible for discountsā€? Why would there be any discounts, and discounts to what?

6 Likes

Why would you get a discount? This is a Studio upgrade.

13 Likes

You do realize that the computers that only go up to Yosemite are from the late 2000ā€™s right? To be honest I wouldnā€™t have expected ROBLOX to support an almost 15 year old computer in the first place.

13 Likes

Which is why I deleted my post.

8 Likes

@Cyafu

At the current rate, we will likely end support for Mojave by end of year 2024. This is assuming Apple also has ended support for the OS.

@BenzGamingz

We will continuously be upgrading our primary framework (Qt), and as we do that OS support will come with it. We are already back-porting to support 10.11 to reduce the impact this will have on our users, but we will have to eventually drop 10.11.

15 Likes

While MOS 10 is no longer supported, was it really needed for Roblox to discontinue it?
Some people cannot upgrade it beyond V10.10 because of older hardware, and some people just donā€™t want to upgrade due to them being unsatisfied with the new look or changes, and the fact that you cannot downgrade once upgraded.

9 Likes

This is answered in the OP. Providing upgrades to the whole platform is objectively more crucial than maintaining support for dated operating systems. If you buy an Apple system, you know that Os is not going to last very long; most software already are incompatible (or do not offer new updates) for OSX Yosemite.

14 Likes
  • We are upgrading our primary framework (Qt) this year. This will lead to multiple benefits such as potential for high DPI support, and flexibility for us to add awesome new features.

I assume this will also apply to Windows version of Studio as well? The lack of high DPI support makes developing on my Surface Pro 7 frustrating

8 Likes

But why would people need to pay to be able to use Studio? This doesnā€™t make sense.

6 Likes

Due to the hardware, newer computers will run the OS faster

5 Likes

Itā€™s not that, they arenā€™t ā€˜payingā€™ to use Studio, simply upgrading their machine. This way, Roblox can focus on adding more features and improving stuff that is commonly used by the masses, not software on a 10+ year old OS.

6 Likes

I didnā€™t see anyone mention that also any computer that could run Yosemite can also run El Capitan (the one after Yosemite)ā€¦

5 Likes

haha windows 10 go brrr

I am sorry but this had to happen. Supporting outdated versions of operating systems prevent platform progression. Know what happened to LoadLibrary? It had to be removed because it was preventing engineers from adding new features. We could have missed out on a bunch of new features if Roblox still supported old stuff. Even Apple themselves donā€™t support this version anymore!

5 Likes

@Ondrashek06

Upgrading your OS with MacOS is free. The only issue is if your hardware doesnā€™t support upgrading, in which case that is an issue you should discuss with Apple.

@Crossota

We do not have that information. Please refer to Apple Support on if your computer is compatible to upgrade.

7 Likes