Studio renders Atmosphere Glare/Haze incorrectly on first join, until reinserted or altered

i am no longer experiencing this issue

windows 10
GTX 1080 Ti
studio version 0.461.0.416397

when you edit a place in studio that uses an atmosphere with glare/haze, something seems off about the color of the fog. generally, it appears darker than it’s supposed to, and the effect of blending into the skybox is ruined by this darker appearance. this does not seem to happen in places with no atmosphere or with an atmosphere with glare & haze both set to zero. It also does not happen in live games, only in Studio.

steps to replicate:

• open up a place that uses an atmosphere with glare & haze
  • note the color of the fog, generally this seems darker than it’s supposed to be
  • change glare/haze property of atmosphere or delete/undo delete atmosphere

after these steps, the atmosphere will now render the correct, brighter color.

this has been consistantly happening for me for well over two or three weeks, with every place I’ve edited with an atmosphere that uses glare/haze, but I’m unsure of specifically when this started happening. I might have only just noticed those few weeks ago.

here’s a before/after from a place I’m currently working on. note how the darker color disrupts the cloud sea from blending in with the sky.

additonally, here’s a repro file - all I did was scale the baseplate up, insert a sky & atmosphere, give the atmosphere glare & haze, then saved & reopen. note how it does not blend the sky into the baseplate correctly.

baseplate atmosphere repro.rbxl (18.5 KB)

7 Likes

Having the exact same issue too now and I’m not even using glare or haze.

When I play the game online, it works as intended, but in studio or play solo it’s messed up.

3 Likes

I’m still having this exact issue/problem when opening up one of my games inside studio when using glare/haze properties.

Playing in the games works fine as what Ripull said, but in studio it doesn’t look like it at all. Instead, the density and a bit of haze doesn’t look the same when changing brightness or properties at all.

The Repro is something I can reproduce at the moment; from black to the one in the image.

Video:

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up here when we have an update for you.

3 Likes

Just confirming that this is still a problem.
Oddly enough I’ve been using atmosphere for weeks and had no studio bugs, but it just suddenly appeared overnight.

Game

Studio

It’s consistent even with inserting a new atmosphere, editing it, etc.

Edit: Found that it’s a problem with graphics mode being set to Vulkan or OpenGL or Dx9, my symptoms are slightly different from OP, as it has nothing to do with reinserting the atmosphere. Just a difference between studio and game.

3 Likes

Sorry for the delayed response. The engineers are still working on this issue. When i get any more info i will pass it along to you.

3 Likes

I am curious as to whether this issue is still happening for you or not. Reply and let me know.

yes. this issue is still happening in every game I test it in.

Alright, when i get more info i will pass it on.

1 Like

Update time!!! There is a fix coming. I am unsure as to when it will roll out but engineering has confirmed to me that a fix is indeed coming.

3 Likes

thank you! this is a well appreciated fix.

1 Like