Studio will hard crash at random when regaining focus

This has happened twice to me so far. The place in question that it occurs on is a very large place (the compressed save file is 7.72MB, it has around 90K parts in the workspace, an amount of terrain voxels so large that I’m not even sure of what it’s around, and uses 2GB of memory on average). I’m running on Windows 7 64 bit.

What’s going on?
When I click back into studio after minimizing it or capturing focus of a window that draws over it, there’s a chance that studio will just exit entirely. No crash report, not even a “Roblox Studio has stopped working” error message. It just terminates. There isn’t even a delay like when you exit studio normally; it’s an instant exit.

There’s no error message in the log or anything either, here’s the log file from when it crashed. It just ends abruptly without any hint of an error or problem otherwise.
log_396A4_1.txt (6.0 KB)

When does this happen?
From what I can tell this is only when studio is regaining focus after being minimized or having a window over it. Another detail that may be important is that I have my explorer, properties, and other editor windows on my second monitor with my primary monitor holding the main studio window with the 3D viewport. Unfortunately it’s very inconsistent otherwise and there’s no certain order or program that I have to use to get it to happen. Both times it’s happened with Discord but I believe this is only because I use it so frequently.

After what version did this start happening?
So far I have only noticed this as of Version 383, and only within the past 18 hours on that note. Oddly, all changes publicly mentioned are still pending, so I’m unsure if it’s exclusive to this version. I’m also using FiB Lighting (Technology = ShadowMap), in case this is of any value.

Unfortunately, this is the most information that I can muster up. If anyone investigating this problem has any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

1 Like

Is there a dmp file in the log directory?

1 Like

No dump file, nope.

Given how quickly it exits, I think it’s viable to assume that it’s not even able to create one (There’s no way it could write ~2GB of data in the amount of time it’s taking it to exit). Given the dodgy nature of this issue I may attach a debugger to studio and try to get the crash to happen again, since we’re kind of lost in the water without much more information.

Just sent you a message about launching Studio with debugger automatically attached :slight_smile:

I’ve been dealing with this same issue, however haven’t seen it since the latest update

:wave: I reported this bug a year ago: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/studio-frozen-for-four-minutes-after-bringing-a-minimized-window-into-focus/120613

@Community_Sage can we merge?

edit: nevermind, my issue is that studio freezes forever instead of instantly crashing.

This is a different error – This is studio entirely terminating without notice, not freezing. It’s related to a different issue from what I’m able to tell so far after discussing with lll_xyz

Does it terminate instantly? My issue is (now) that studio freezes permanently, which is essentially a hard crash.

Yes, the studio window instantly closes itself without any hint that it might happen. No freeze or hang, not even a brief one. No “An unexpected error has occurred” dialog, no Windows error dialog saying “Roblox Studio has stopped working”. It just ceases to exist.

1 Like

If Studio freeze permanently, please use Windows Task Manager to generate a full dump, and PM me the shared link to download:-)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/931673/how-to-create-a-user-mode-process-dump-file-in-windows