Studio workspace 3D view not appearing

Reproduction Steps

Open a place, Ctrl+N a new place, or start a Play test. It happens about 30% of the time and is very frustrating.

Expected Behavior

I expect to see the 3D workspace view.

Actual Behavior

The workspace 3D view becomes missing. A 2nd phantom studio instance appears that cannot be switched to. Minimizing the main studio will reveal the bugged 3D view underneath your programs.

Workaround

Restart studio, may have to restart a few times when it keeps happening.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Often
Date First Experienced: 2023-02-18 00:02:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2023-02-18 00:02:00 (-05:00)

22 Likes

Having similar issues that are persistent & typically occurs when I start a private client game in studio. After restarting studio, clearing temp files, etc. issue is still there.

Issue appears to be with a studio-plugins conflict. Disable plugins in the Plugins Tab under ‘Manage Plugins.’ Should fix ya up.

Are you able to be more specific?

Of course, to begin with I am referencing another thread that has more ‘traction’ which can be found here,
“Modern Studio” (new docking behavior) has various issues - Bug Reports / Studio Bugs - DevForum | Roblox

More specifically this post, "Modern Studio" (new docking behavior) has various issues - #20 by Noble_Draconian.

What I’ve discovered by basic stats. is it appearing to be caused by a plugin or plugins. To fix your overall issue, do the following.

1. Open Studio (can be baseplate or a general game)
  2. Click & go to the ‘Plugins’ tab on the top bar.
  3. Open ‘Manage Plugins’
  4. Disable Plugins (e.g. sliders should be gray now, not green)
  5. Restart Studio

–[[Pictures]]–
1 & 2. Baseplate - Roblox Studio (gyazo.com)
3 & 4. RobloxStudio (gyazo.com)

For the past 2 days along with this issue I am also getting bunch of HTTP Error Connect Fail, Internal Server Error, and other similar errors, which completely prevent development.
Anyone else?

P.S. My internet is perfectly fine.

1 Like

You could try deleting Roblox Temp files by doing Windows Key + R then %temp%. Just find ‘Roblox’ folder and delete it. Make sure you have studio and player closed at the time or it will throw a windows error.

However, I do not know if that’ll work.

Did my solution work for you brother? @Maelstronomer

I found this in a separate thread for a different issue; however, this could also be a potential route for solution.

From reading another thread, I think my widget layout got corrupted. Maybe it’s because I slept my machine instead of shutting down. Closed all studio windows, reset view, seems better after a few tries. I definitely want to avoid clearing folders or disabling all plugins.

I keep having this issue as well. For me, it loads up fine when I first load studio however when I exit out of playtesting I can’t interact with the 3d view anymore, left clicking on it does nothing. After playtesting again the 3d view disappears and has the same behavior as described in the report. This happens every time I open studio and makes it impossible to do work with it.

2 Likes

I found a solution for this, it seems if you alt tab after clicking playtest then tab back in the frame actually appears and functions, but you have to keep repeating that each time you want to playtest.

I am positive its because plugin conflict, I had the same problem but after disabling all of my plugins and restarting studio, the problem hasn’t appeared since.

I’m not sure, but the white/grey screen is also what happens if you set the “Graphics” option in Studio Settings to “None”. It’s set to “Automatic” by default. I switched it to “Vulkan” just now and launched a few times and it seems to have fixed it for me, but I could just be getting lucky.

Happens to me as well, no matter how many roblox windows I have open. I found that this issue is similar to this one: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/studio-windows-on-2nd-screen-saving-in-different-position-off-edge-of-screen/2088889/19

I believe roblox is already aware of this issue and will implement a fix soon.

1 Like

Hi @Maelstronomer, could you DM me a picture of the location of the corrupted 3d view? Is it on the top left, or somewhere else?

1 Like

I too experience this every single time after I playtest. It seems that studio creates another untouchable window for just the in-world view, and then main screen it left broken as well. Roblox Studio seems to be having massive amounts of docking issues lately…

1 Like

Could you post a screenshot of when you play test? I particularly need to know the location - currently we have made the assumption that when this occurs your 3d view is in the top left of studio.

Afterwards, any sort of reset view (Studio Docking [Fix]) will resolve the issue for the time being. Make sure you only have 1 session of studio open when you are doing the reset.

2 Likes

Here are both screenshots. First is the view of the separated 3d window (Only visible if all other windows are minimized), and the second is the main window (In front of the first screenshot). I took this directly after exiting play test.

2 Likes

Also, while I do appreciate that there is a temporary fix, this reset view command is not practical in any way. It resets every single one of my windows, resulting in me having to resize and reposition them every single time, which is very tedious.

1 Like