Substance Painter to Studio Tutorial | SurfaceAppearance PBR

1. It would be smaller, yes, but still large: You forgot all the people that knows that it‘s illegal, but still does it, like children (I think we all agree that when we were children we all did something illegal)
  1. I think I understand better: The one is like Blender (a software) and the other is a library. Ok, if this is the case, then I think we can use it (I just fear that it would be illegal)

It isn’t illegal. Substance Painter (and other Allegorithmic programs) are free to use for whatever the case. Games, movies, and even car companies are able to utilize the workflow Substance provides. Quixel Megascans, a program operated by Quixel and in turn Epic Games, is relegated to Unreal Engine, and you can obviously see why.

A few other artists on here use Substance Painter for their projects, just ask around.

2 Likes

do you have a tutorial on how to use Substances Printer? or a yt channel?

Afraid not. This tutorial series by Allegorithmic is a very good starting point if you want to learn the basics.

4 Likes

thank you so much i appreciate the help.

1 Like

Hello, so im thinking on making a topic but this really helped me, and i have a “problem” my PBR textures imported by substance painter by the same method, in roblox the texture looks dark and not so dynamic and i want to know what i can do to make my Textures more bright and make them look better

If your color map textures are too dark, try adding some adjustment layers in Substance to brighten them up. Also try to change colors, roughness, metallic, etc. Or, take the final image files and boost their brightness in a photo editing program if you wish. Hope this helps.

I absolutely adore this. Very useful!

1 Like

anyway i can make this work with one whole mesh, so instead of it creating 8 decals for 2 parts it creates 4 for 1?

Sure. Just make sure that one mesh has one UV map.

im back and i just wanna know if its possible to make a texture that can be colored in roblox studio so i dont have to go back to substance to change the color

I’d suggest following this tutorial: Recolorable PBR Textures - SurfaceAppearance by Noviius.

i have a question, how can i include transparancey information into this? I recently saw a minos prime commission where the torso gradually goes from solid to transparent, how can i achieve this and combine the colormap, AO, and transparency into 1?
image-256

Are you sure that uses all the other Surface Appearance maps? It may just be the color map, which is the only one that can support alpha maps to my knowledge. I don’t see any sort of reflectiveness, normal mapping, etc on it.

Edit: Use the default Roblox (SurfaceAppearance) template, or just swap out Mixed AO for Opacity in the export template setup. Add a dark colored layer with a mask that reads the AO data from your bake. You can then paint opacity on top of this to create transperancy with dark shadows. I suggest this tutorial for a quick run-down on how opacity painting works.

For those seeing this in 2023+
Substance painter has made their own setting, just click where you can change your format, and search for roblox SurfaceAppearance.
Make sure you take SurfaceAppearance as the other one is for MTL and not for Models textures.

Also, if you’re having the same issue as me, with having super low quality textures, the OP has used 8 different texture maps, making her UVs higher > Higher UVs the higher pixel count.

This gives OPs textures from 1k texture to a higher res such as 2k or 4k. This is a huge bummer specially for me as I have to make a tablet with text with only 1 texture ;(

Eitherway, hope this can help someone in the future.

1 Like

having the low quality issue. What do you mean by OP using 8 different texture maps? like baked maps or textures

I believe this template is only for 3D Designer, which is used to make tileable textures from scratch.
See the documentation here: Roblox | Ecosystem and Plug-ins

Correct me if I’m missing something, but there is no template for Painter, and the file they provide leads to a 404 page. I believe this partnership fell through, and there isn’t any built-in template that works.

Edit: this template is available on recent versions of Substance products, like Painter and Designer. I’ve adjusted the tutorial to reflect this!

1 Like

there is a built in template in substance painter for roblox.

2 Likes

Hi everybody! I’ve redone a decent chunk of the tutorial to keep it up to date for 2023. Primarily, using the AO bake as part of the texture has been removed. Using the AO instead of Opacity in the export limits what you can do visually and makes it a little bit confusing. If you’d like to include a dark occlusion effect similar to AO in Substance, use a mask that reads the AO bake and applies a dark color. You’d ideally put this above all your other layers. This will bake it in with the other colors and still leave your opacity mask open for later use for transparency or color adjustment in Studio.

Suggestions and questions are always welcome!

<3

1 Like

So, OP made the model into several pieces of materials, usually in games you wanna have 1 texture for at least 2 models if they’re not hero props (This is like furniture, boxes, or random props in the scene)
While in hero props you would give it full attention, tho due to roblox limiting us all with a 1k texture. We need improvise, what we can do is split the models textures into maybe 5 PNGs and have something much higher res.

1 Like