Suggestions for top contributors when moving posts to off topic

Whenever you move a post to off topic (or even a thread if that happens ) it be nice if we could get a detailed reason explaining why it was moved. I sometimes wonder why it was moved and I think my post is on topic so it would really help us become a better poster here :slight_smile: . On that note why can’t members see the off topic section ?

Full members can’t see the thread the posts get moved to either.

That seems to be a transparency thing in DevForum. :thinking:

Should this be slightly less transparent?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I fixed the original post so it includes all members

I rather have it more transparent so people would know why their topic or post was moved

Whenever my posts come under moderation, I usually get a message shortly afterwards explaining why.

My suggestion is to include it under the post that says merged post into off topic because I don’t get always get messages explaining why

I agree, my post was moved to off-topic and bump post when it was marked a solution. I was later messaged it was because i have to stop linking dev hub topics, which I found wasn’t a good reason, I agree to the OP topic, and sometimes your post can be moved for false reasons.

That thread is a garbage bin. It’s not meant to be viewed.

Sometimes a large amount of replies are moved all at once, so it’s not feasible to manually tell everyone why. To notify all users involved why they were moved it’s likely a plugin would be required as I doubt Discourse supports this already. It would be nice to have, but it’s likely to take a very long time.

There is no such thing as a “false reason”.

2 Likes

Although my original intention wasn’t a suggestion for wrongful off topic moves . Maybe another suggestion could be an appeal function for appealing off topic moves ?

If all you did was post a link to the dev hub without any context I can kinda agree with the moderation action against the post. It literally just creates spam and nothing meaningful. The OP should have simply did some research prior to posting.

1 Like

He marked it as a solution, you never know, it could have helped him.

That explains it, probably stacked with unintelligible posts around there, I guess?

That’s true, but if we had a thousand posts that was easily preventable by them doing a simple google search or checking the developer hub. And everyone marked a single link as the solution with no context it would literally end up as spam.

The search results would be flooded with nothing but posts with single link solutions to the dev hub.

I’ll give an example of when this would be useful : recently I replied to a thread of a deprecated feature and was wondering what an alternative would be . Later my post was moved to an existing topic in off topic . I didn’t get my question answered and got no reason for it Instance.Lock Instance.Unlock Removal

We already send feedback when we move posts out. If we somehow missed your posts then send a message to @Community_Sage and we’ll get that sorted.

2 Likes

I had no idea ! Thank you for the response :slight_smile: regardless I think if the forum had a built in feature allowing u to fill in a text box for moving a thread it would save u a lot of time