Sunsetting the Legacy Computational Solid Geometry (CSG) Engine

Is it a plan to provide CSG in-exprience functions for clients? It`s lag and cost much if I wound like to do some CSG jobs in game for specific persons rapidly while requesting from server.

12 Likes

I’ve found a weird bug trying to intersect these two spheres:

It only happens in this specific positional setup, when I move them it works fine:

It consistently happens, if I put them back in that spot the error comes back.

CSG bug.rbxl (71.8 KB)
I haven’t tested on another computer, reproducing if this happens the same on all machines is just to try intersecting those two spheres, and also moving them somewhere else to see if it suddenly works for you.

8 Likes

Nice update.

I’ve always found that the nature of creating meshes as shapes and then, using those shapes to create more shapes to be extremely limiting. I would appreciate some sort of manual vertex control (similar to how blender works) where you can manipulate vertices, lines and faces with the normal studio tools. In addition, be able to import any outside mesh and being able to do that in “real time” would be a game changer.

I almost always get into a hole when doing the following: make mesh on blender, import mesh to Roblox, mesh doesn’t look right, go back to blender, repeat, etc.

7 Likes

will it ever be possible to union meshparts

4 Likes

Great suggestions, and we agree too! We don’t have anything to share at the moment but stay tuned… :slight_smile:

18 Likes

We are committed to address all community reported issues with solutions or workarounds and appreciate your patience during the transition.

Will the SubtractAsync function receive an update? It breaks the lighting of the resulting union when used within a script. I initially reported the bug to the Bug Support Team back in December 2022, but it still hasn’t been fixed. I also reported it to the post, Studio Beta: CSG Has a New Engine - Vroom, Vroom, Vroom!, and it again still hasn’t been fixed.

Edit: As usual, issues with existing technology and suggestions are being disregarded.

6 Likes

@Blast4300 We are currently investigating this matter, and once we have a solution, we will communicate it to you.

7 Likes

@Shirovian Thank you for identifying this bug and for sharing the model with us. We want to inform you that we have successfully reproduced the issue and are currently working on resolving it.

6 Likes

This is incredibly amazing, because now I wouldn’t have to make door frames and windows using parts at an increment and/or have missing or combiner material textures on unioned parts. I am hoping that with the release of this update, we wouldn’t have the problem where unioned parts have an invisible hitbox where you can walk on.

4 Likes

correction on my previous post, sorry for the misconception

Since the last update the align dragged object feature was turned on so alot of builders may end up wondering why their objects will misalign and not slide across the boundary boxes walls which are always straight.

So if anyone is having the issue where the object is misaligned a lil bit its probably because this is turned on.

(Honestly, before it was really noticeable when an object auto aligned to a surface it jittered all over. but im actually surprised that this time it was barely noticeable that i couldn’t see it meaning that the the mesh right now is really good. Really exited to see how they interact with the physics engine )

4 Likes

Well, I wasn’t expecting to be shown just how out of the loop I am today, I never knew it was even possible to make unions in a running game, nevermind that it was multiple entire APIs ago. Yeesh. I don’t see much difference with the results (at least, in the examples given), though, and I haven’t actually made any in about as long either…

1 Like

I’m… shocked.

Pleasantly, that is. As a builder, I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy with a Roblox update. I just hopped on to build something after a bit of a hiatus, and I was jumped by the security vulnerability notification, so I got worried not all the issues had been fixed, but when I tried it… Wow.

Everything runs like butter. The separating and reunioning works flawlessly, it’s much faster, and everything is aligned correctly. The only thing I have to do is add smoothingangle.

This is incredible. I literally can’t put into words just how impressed and pleased I am with this update.

I seriously can’t thank everyone responsible for working on this update enough. Every piece of feedback I had was addressed and you all made good on your word to get it into a more than satisfactory state. I can’t imagine how hard the work to get this all working must have been, but it paid off tremendously.

Thank you all. Really. This is a game-changer for me, and I couldn’t be more happy with the results!

6 Likes

Are you guys able to provide any information related to the performance of CSG operations? (For example, what configurations of parts tend to be fast or slow, what combinations of part properties, etc.)

I’ve noticed that there is some variability in how long calls of UnionAsync() take, and haven’t tracked down the cause of that yet.

I am currently doing some work which involves a lot of unioning and would like to see what optimizations I can make (or at least what ways I can prioritise different operations so that I can get the bulk of the work done first and then leave the expensive things last).

1 Like

Hello @Shirovian, we’d like to inform you that the issue you reported has been resolved. Please try it again.

2 Likes

The issue is gone, thanks and props on the quick resolution!
RobloxStudioBeta_gzbJLHDPVM

1 Like

Hey @EmeraldSlash ,
There should be a post coming out soon that goes into detail about both (hopefully exciting) new features for CSG and best practices on how to optimize performance

3 Likes

Will CSG be performant as meshes some day? It’s common knowledge that high use of unions or even moderate use is terrible for your game. I don’t really care to learn blender so I would hope CSG is my fallback.

2 Likes

Update:
As of September 18th 2023 (today), CSGv1 and CSGv2 are now sunset. The two Studio setting checkboxes that were available during the grace period are now no longer available.

Thank you to all those that reported issues during the grace period. We have addressed all reported issues in this forum post thread.

Please keep an eye out for a whole slew of new CSGv3 features and performance improvements that will be announced soon!

Happy CSG-ing,
@meshadapt, @syntezoid and @FGmm_r2 (on behalf of the entire Roblox Geometry Team)

2 Likes

hello, idk what yall have touched, im having this big issue regarding this.

I want to union as i usually do, but after the latest update from 29/09/2023 i’ve been having some issues with Roblox. in the first place it didn’t want to open and started crashing some seconds away from finishing installing, so i had to go to any place from the website and press “edit” for it to finally open. it was the only way to get it to open, because it would be crashing when installing forever if i didn’t try that. After that, i tried to continue on solid modelling with Unions, Negative Parts & Intersections, BUT the unions started deforming and not showing how they have to.
A video of what i say:

I’ve also noticed in this update, the old CSG v2 Union settings in roblox aren’t available in the Rendering section of the settings anymore.
Reproduction

• Insert any of the given parts by roblox to start unionating
  • Union or Intersect two parts or doesn’t necessary have to be two, u can try with one, for example an sphere.
  • Watch it’s geometry deform anormally.

Expected (Bottom) vs Deformed (Top)
Here i can show you some examples i did.
I asked my friend about this and they don’t seem to be having this problem as for now.
I have tried Reinstalling studio , deleting all files , restarting computer , restarting Studio , checking settings , checking plugins , but nothing seemed to work. I suppose my friends haven’t got this “update” yet.

deformed unions.rbxm (192.3 KB)
Im aware that unioning vast amounts of pieces can deform them but these are the starter unions you usually use to start solid modelling. This feature has to work properly ASAP since is the main method i use for 3d modelling on my game.
Stopping me from developing.
you can notice the deformed geometry (left) and normal expected (right)

All the unions i wanna do get deformed ODDLY. i don’t know what to do ATP, no solution was found in the forum.

Hello @TimTsuki, the deformed geometry (left) in your screenshot is actually the LOD (Level of Detail) representation, not the original geometry. Please verify the Mesh Detail Level in the Rendering page of Studio settings. We were able to reproduce the issue after adjusting this setting to Level03.

Please reach out to us if switching the setting to DistanceBased does not resolve your problem.

MeshLevelOFDetail