Sunsetting the Legacy Computational Solid Geometry (CSG) Engine

CSGv3 has more issues with errors than v2 did. I tried to edit one of my Unions made in v2 and the thing would not stop giving me error code -11 whenever I unioned pieces of them together (FYI, everything in this post isn’t just limited to editing old Unions, this even happens to Unions made in v3). I find the workaround to this is by moving the entire Union and its associated NegativeParts to a completely different position that does not line up with the original X, Y, or Z coordinate. Separating Unions sometimes results in the Union only separating a piece of itself but then leaving the original Union completely intact. I have to circumvent that using the same “move to different position” workaround. Sometimes it doesn’t even work and the Union continuously does the same behavior upon separation without spitting out any NegativeParts or other Unions (similar to one of my older posts Union is duplicating itself, and separating only a part of itself when separating. Potential bug?). Not to mention that I can’t turn off the NegativePart color inheritance on my Unions, and I have to color every NegativePart relative to what I’m cutting out, slowing down my workflow immensely. I feel as if CSGv2 was sunset too soon. While it may have had many errors, it was significantly less than the amount of errors I have in v3. I’ve halted five projects already due to my frustration with v3.

Hi @godtrek102playz, thanks for reporting these issues. Could you share the place files or models that would help us reproduce them?

Sure, here are some completed cab stripes that gave me trouble. Try separating the Union multiple times and attempt to make cutouts with the separations. FYI, the stripes were originally made in v2 but then were edited in v3.
csgv3errorrepro.rbxm (2.4 MB)

We’ve attempted to separate both StripeLower and StripeUpper multiple times and make cutouts with the separations using Studio version 605 on Windows. However, we haven’t been able to reproduce your issue yet. Could you please provide the exact steps to reproduce it and specify the platform you’re using?

I am also using Studio version 605.

Here are my computer specs:
I hate to inform you, but there is no exact procedure to this glitch. It happens completely at random. I don’t think its a RAM/memory issue either because this laptop has easily handled way more complex unions while the engine was still on CSGv2. I was however, in a Team Create session while editing this Union, but from what I’ve found, whether it’s a local file or a published place, it makes no difference in the chance where the error will occur.

Okay, I’ve just encountered it again. Here’s the repro file, try Unioning the NegativePart with either one of the stripes.
csgv3errorrepro2.rbxm (2.3 MB)

We’d like to inform you that the issue has been successfully reproduced using the upper striper on our end. An internal tracking ticket has been created. Once we have a solution, we will communicate it to you.

@godtrek102playz,This bug has already been fixed internally, and we are in the process of releasing the fix. Will update you once it is released.

@godtrek102playz The fix has been released in our latest version. Could you please check and let us know if everything is working as expected now?

It seems to be working fine. Thanks for the fix.

Thank you, @VGVC2 and @focasds, for bringing the unnecessary triangle issue to our attention. We’re pleased to share that we’ve activated a feature to address this concern. Please retest, and for CSG models involving spheres, anticipate up to a 60% reduction in triangle count. As an example, unioning a sphere now generates approximately 432 triangles.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.