Suphi's DataStore Module

you cant auto update it self module, except your doing require(asset_id) not for require(path.module)

4 Likes

Ill soon have a 2 hour video that explains how Datastore2, ProfileService and Suphi's DataStore Module work

Edit* its only 46 min long

21 Likes

Thanks so much for putting in the time and effort to make this module and tutorials! I really like how easy-to-use and elegant the APIs are. And about the videos, they’re awesome – I don’t think length is a problem at all. I watch them at 2x speed, and everything’s still clear. Keep up the great work.

7 Likes

Looks a lot more promising than ProfileService, definitely would be using this in my future projects over ProfileService :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yo suphi just to notify you

3 Likes

SaveDelay is already set to 0 by default because I knew it was getting removed so this change has no effect for SDM

4 Likes

Nice work and creative implementation, thanks for the hard work. Your Youtube videos are also great for developers moving over to the platform who want to understand its quirks!

6 Likes

This seems to be a great DataStore module, so I’ve started using it (instead of ProfileService, which I never set up).

Is there a way to open another player’s profile for viewing only, even if they are in another server (therefore locking their store)? I heard of a way to do this with ProfileService, but I don’t know if there’s a way to do it other than the “queue” that I’ve heard of from your advanced tutorial video.

2 Likes

You can use ‘Read’ to view there last saved value but not the value that is cached on the other server

6 Likes

Oh, I see now. That’s pretty easy! :+1:t3:

2 Likes

This is an amazing module fr, You are one of the best scirpters if not the best.
Keep it up ! but i got one question : i dont really understand what does these methods really do :Close() :Open() :Destroy().

2 Likes

Think of it like a text file

Open() will open the text file
Save() will save the text file
Close() will save then close the text file
Destroy() will save then close then remove the text file from memory

The main 2 that are important are Open() and Destroy() if you watch my basics video it will cover how to use Open() and Destroy()

7 Likes

Alright thank you, but i have last question why would the module cannot open datastore sometimes, cuz in my case it seems not be opening more often.

what does print(ds:Open()) print ??

if it says locked then it means that its open by something else or it failed to close last time
if it says error then Roblox servers might be having problems

2 Likes

NVM i didnot even enable API access sorry for bothering :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

What’s the difference? Is one more efficient than the other? I have never had to use session locking but I’m curious in case I’ll have to in the future.

2 Likes

Session locking prevents opening the same datastore key at the same time

So let’s say a player leaves one server to enter another server before the previous server managed to save there data the second server would try to load there data before the previous server saved there latest data this would cause the player to lose data

But if you have session locking the second server would not be able to open the players data until the previous server saved and closed the session preventing them from losing data

By using the memorystore we can ensure that the session lock times out for all servers at the exact same time but if you use os.time() to workout if a session has timed out you can not be 100% sure that all servers will timeout at the exact same time because os.time() uses the operating systems clock and the operating systems clock might not be perfectly in sync between servers this allows SDM to have a smaller timeout for session locks

10 Likes

You can make a custom function inside the datastore

local function Set(dataStore, key, value)
    if dataStore.State ~= true then return false end 
    dataStore.Value[key] = value
    print("DataStore value changed to", value)
    return true
end

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
    local dataStore = DataStoreModule.new("Player", player.UserId)
    dataStore.Set = Set
end)

then you can use the function like this

local dataStore = DataStoreModule.find("Player", player.UserId)
if dataStore == nil then return end
dataStore:Set("Key", 69)

you can even use signals

local Signal = require(game.ServerStorage.DataStore.Signal)

local function Set(dataStore, key, value)
    if dataStore.State ~= true then return false end 
    dataStore.Value[key] = value
    dataStore.ValueChanged:Fire(key, value)
    return true
end

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
    local dataStore = DataStoreModule.new("Player", player.UserId)
    dataStore.ValueChanged = Signal.new()
    dataStore.Set = Set
end)

then you can connect to the signal like this

dataStore.ValueChanged:Connect(function(key, value)
    print("Changed", key, value)
end)
6 Likes

very cool, but if you ask me profileservice works just fine ._.

1 Like

Does this module prevent item duplication exploit? Just like ProfileService.