SurfaceAppearance Studio Beta [Released]

try inverting the green channel
And use a roughness map combined with the normal map for best results

4 Likes

I’ve tried it out in game and it look AWESOME. I can’t wait to try it out myself.

2 Likes

Are textures going to be deprecated after this update?

2 Likes

We expect this to be available in games on the order of a couple weeks. There are still some minor bugs we’re investigating.

6 Likes

Looks really good on planet Earth!

10 Likes

I have been having issues with Surface Appearances lately, the surface appearances i have on a mesh parts will often loose properties such as roughness and reflectivity. Most of the time the surface appearances will just turn into the part’s base color despite having color, metalness, normal and roughness maps.

If this is a known bug or i need to change settings in the render tab feel free to let me know.

5 Likes

The waiting room

Srsly Tho, This Is Great. Next Thing To Do Is Add SFDGI, Ray Tracing, Volumetric Lighting And Volumetric Clouds And We’re All Set.

14 Likes

Not sure if it’s because I’m in team create with my friend, but the texture appears for a small amount of time, then goes gray. It might be because I’m in the beta program and he isn’t, but I would like to just get that out there in case it is actually a bug that should be addressed.

2 Likes

Having the exact same issue. Whenever I apply a texture to a SurfaceAppearance instance, it attempts to pack before throwing out a 'Image ‘ASSET’ failed to load: Request failed" error in the output.

Left is using SurfaceAppearance, and right is without.

It’s SUPPOSED to look like this.

8 Likes

Having the same issue with textures not loading on meshes using SurfaceAppearance. Started about 2 or 3 days ago.

The textures work if placed directly onto the mesh, surface appearance is the thing having issues.

8 Likes

Our asset system started having issues handling the compressed textures used by SurfaceAppearance earlier this week. Newly created instances will appear broken to many people right now. I will post an update once this is fixed.

@Ripull @kijineko

14 Likes

idk if is the same problem but surface aparence make my model full white after a seconds that i have placed or changed my surface aparence.
or if i hit run the texture of surface aparence blink showing up them became white.

it also freezes the studio when applying surface aparece or when it dissapaers.

5 Likes

This is a big step forward for Roblox. I’m sure this will help out all builders when creating games!

4 Likes

I used Materialize for do this!!

17 Likes

I have this same issue, hoping for a fix sometime soon.

3 Likes

Wow Roblox graphics just keep getting better! I’m excited to see how this works in games in the future!

4 Likes

Hello! Will be be able to use height maps? I’ve had so many textures with them, and height would add a lot more detail! Thanks :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is definitely one of my favorite updates! It’s amazing the fact that we will can do a lot of cool things with it :smiley:

2 Likes

When exporting height, convert it to normal. Substance Painter automatically packs height info into their OpenGL compatible normal maps, and in Blender, this is handy for turning bump info into a normal map node editor - How to generate a normal map from a bump map? - Blender Stack Exchange

3 Likes

So… Are we gearing up to see custom environment maps and general reflections with these implementations? I find it so tiring that we see more engine features (that is great), but what about something just as important – the UI rendering?

Also, can someone explain to me why this preexisting technology and different features has been so slow to implement? We see AAA titles consistently blow Roblox out of the water and somehow we get excited to see another feature added to a slow to develop engine. Exibit A: Clouds weren’t even a thing until 10 years later.

5 Likes