[CLOSED] Syces - Creating Custom Portfolio Websites

Edit: After lots of great advice from you guys, I felt like I jumped into this too quickly and have decided to close the post. Thank you and have a nice day!

5 Likes

I understand that you might not yet have some clear examples online that you can link to, but a minimum of one example and an estimate of your price (preferably for that example) is required to give a public portfolio any meaning. Your current offer doesn’t give a clear indication of what a buyer or interested developer can expect, and might be the cause of disputes in the future.

I’m sure you’ve worked on other websites before if you are offering them as a service, so I would highly suggest you to add any examples or past work even if they don’t connect directly to the service you are offering here.

5 Likes

In addition to what Wsly said, it’d really help you (and those who may be interested) if at the very least you posted images of what you’ve previously made. That way people know what you can do and even motivate them to hire you.

I appreciate your feedback. I have made changes to my topic accordingly. I was not clear on what I was offering and I hope to be so now.

1 Like

Topic updated! Check my reply to @Wsly. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Do you have any full examples (like full websites you’ve made previously, etc?) The two examples you posted aren’t much whenever you are offering to make a full ‘portfolio website.’

As my topic states, I am looking to build a portfolio myself by designing and completing websites for people. The only examples I have are elements and widgets I’ve created. No full examples unfortunately. However, I do have some more smaller examples up my sleeve if you wish to see those?

It might be nice to see some more examples. Even if they’re smaller, it’s better than only showing two examples.

Updated to show off more examples that I felt comfortable sharing. If you wish to see anything else (like the code, images created for some stuff I made, etc), let me know. Hope this helps!

This is a good gesture that may assist in helping developers with their future endeavours, however - like the aformentioned criticisms point out - it is a good idea to have some clear, substantial examples of your work before pitching your business for commission.

Here are some reasons for this:

• Your pricing of $50-$500 would suggest you would have plenty of experience in this field. If you’re looking to get a commission, examples of your work are absolutely necessary.
  • With the animosity of not knowing 100% that their portfolios will be finished on time or at all, it is a huge gamble to pay for service that has vague examples.

My suggestions are to:

• Construct a portfolio of yourself as an example; show different layouts, styles and formats to appease to potential commissioners.
  • Find a style that you can be consistent and adaptable with, I highly suggest looking at some references and studying what makes them appealing.

Nonetheless, this is a very good thing to commission. I really think you should redo your original post with all the suggestions made and see how that helps!
Good luck! :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! You made some really good points and I hope to utilize them in the future. I really wasn’t clear with what I wanted out of this post and I apologize for that.

The $50-$500 was based off of my own research. I didn’t want to go too low as it may not come off as professional to potential commissioners. However, I’m now reading what you said and the way you put it makes me come off as I’ve done this for years and years which is not true. I’m looking to build my own portfolio by doing websites for people here to get some more examples and experience under my belt.

I understand people want more clear examples and I wish I could provide some, but at this time I can’t. I feel like I rushed into this too quickly (which I tend to do a lot) to get some examples and is why I triggered all of this criticism. I appreciate it all and I hope to learn from it.

What I’m going to do for now is build some websites for friends (as some expressed interest) and get some experience with different styles, then come back here with actual work I can present. I’ll redo my post then.

Again, I thank everyone for their input in this topic. I may have not come out with any commissions, but I did learn a few things to help for the future. :slight_smile:

The website just feels like a website from the 2000’s, not too sure what bit has made me feel like that but it does feel pretty old, can you provide a more “modern” website?

Closed & Unlisted - requested by OP