Terrain being too, "edgy"

So, I’ve recently started to explore the terrain, to make things, but I found this small bug that is quite irritating. Here’s a clip of what it is:

So what the video is showing that the terrain is smooth before the water is inputted, and when you put in water, it looks really blocky, and I don’t want that, any way to fix this?
I tried using erode and smooth, but it doesn’t help

8 Likes

Unfortunately that’s the way the current terrain system works, to try get around it I’d recommend painting water on to a flat surface, that way it avoids lots of clipping, or you can use a textures part to replace the clipping of the water and having the water beneath it.

2 Likes

so how does booga booga devs do it? They make the terrain look smooth, even in the water!

What they probably do is create the water first and the do the land terrain, that way you can avoid a large portion of the clipping, or you can paint water around a desired area/island and erode the rest to create a ocean like within the game similar to Booga Booga.

3 Likes

That’s what I did, made the water first, then the terrain, but its the same problem.

You need to use the grow tool, make is a small brush size, high strength then pain along the seems. Use this strategy all the time in terrain to blend the floor to walls.

2 Likes

oohf, I will need a lot of practice, thank you! :smiley:

Also, the rock texture in terrain isn’t the best in my opinion especially around water. Water usually sits on sand, dirt that can also make your water borders looks smoother. Slate is a really good substitute to the rock texture! Also you can change your material colors at any time in Workspace>Terrain

so i would make it sand and then paint it rock after?

Hes stating that the rock material often is very rough compared to the other materials (such as slate or sand). Putting rock alongside water will often give this weird “rough” effect causing the water to raise in certain areas. I’d recommend getting your terrain all situated using smooth textures around the coast and then using a “Part-to-terrain” plugin to add the water in. Should look a little better than the wierd effect rock can give you imo.

1 Like

oh yeah, I forgot about that plugin xd

You can also use the new “Sea level” terrain tool implemented earlier today. I posted that before they released it. Im sure the Sea level terrain tool is far better.

can you send me a link please?

Here is the post: Terrain - Water, Water Everywhere + Big Brushes

If you don’t see these in your current terrain editor just go to File > Beta Features > Check “Terrain editor beta”. Then just restart your studio client.

The new “Sea Level” terrain tool still leaves those harsh edges. :frowning: I recommend contributing your pain to our pain which can be found in the post here.