Terrain LOD is slow and choppy looking

Terrain lod is centered around your player not camera. That is why it does not switch to higher res lod when you fly closer to it

4 Likes

Would it be possible to have it set around the camera, as that is what the player will be seeing anyways? Should I open a Feature Request for this?

It’d be much better for the LoD to be based around the camera for player experience.

5 Likes

Total support. I just released my latest showcase, and I cannot use StreamingEnabled because it needs to be based off the camera. For context, here is the game:

https://www.roblox.com/games/5809455126/Frozen-Mountain-Showcase

Yes please open feature request.

6 Likes

LOD in general is centered around your camera’s subject. So in the meanwhile, you could code a custom camera with its subject being a transparent part inside it.

3 Likes

Looking for answers as I am encountering this too. <200 studs or less or so is apparently the only option for LOD going on, and its terrible. I can’t seem to find anything to increase the detail further out.
So its being put in as a feature request?

2 Likes

I really wish that the terrain LOD had a much further range at max graphics settings, or at least the ability to customize this. Past a few hundred studs, it starts getting some really horrible breakage, especially with my mountainous areas.

I’m working with a huge map right now (planned size 16000 x 16000) , and this is just a section of it, I think 3000x1500. I’m extremely worried about how combat is going to end up when the game is absolutely decimated at a distance you will still be able to see. I haven’t added buildings/vegetation that will obstruct the view a bit more, but it’s kind of pathetic how it looks right now.

5 Likes

I agree. Especially at high speeds, I see a few polygons of the terrain stretch cause of the LOD trying to load in quickly when. Once I saw a huge single polygon over me. It’s extremely distracting.
You can do this by going in driving simulator and driving quickly where there’s terrain, or just generate a lot of terrain and run extremely quickly. Here’s a picture of what I mean

You can even see the terrain creeping on the road due to the LODS, and at the back it basically ate it. I hope the new terrain LODS said on the roadmap fixes all the issues with it and make it less noticeable when it updates, it’s really distracting.

4 Likes

Exactly. There’s always those weird chunks, and it happens to every game (I think only the ones with StreamingEnabled) with a decently sized map and terrain, caused by moving at a high speed. I really hope this gets fixed, it’s annoying and distracting

Yes this is also happening with many people. I assume its Roblox’s servers in Studio.
Many people including myself have this problem when using terrain.

Agreed on all fronts. I am frustrated right now for large scale maps and no way to change LOD / streaming distances directly

I especially do not like how everything appears terraced in the distance and the grass decoration disappearing suddenly at a concrete ~200 studs away.

2 Likes

Here’s another example of the terrain LODS a bit bad.

As you can see here, you can see a little bump surrounding the terrain but when you zoom out it goes into this.

The terrain has exaggerated it and now its much more noticeable and makes it look a bit ugly. Even with grass off up close, you can barley notice that tiny bump, the grass makes it actually more noticeable, but go farther its more noticeable.

1 Like

Roblox should have this feature be togglable and customizable - not all games wish for decreased levels of detail depending on distance. Roblox just tells you to use fog and get over it, but even with fog, unless you make the fog be really dense / close to your camera, you can still clearly see the Terrain nodes being poorly stitched together.

10 Likes

it happens to me also the only problem for me was the terrain strech when we come in high speed because it doesn’t load when your coming so fast…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.