Terrain streaming issues / Invisible holes / Walking through terrain

Recently there’s been a catastrophic issue which seems to be related to terrain streaming and it is causing serious gameplay issues for some players.

Game link: 🚩Expedition Antarctica - Roblox

Here’s player gameplay evidence:

There are TWO main observations:

1. Non-collidable terrain loading in areas where it should not
There are instances where terrain is being streamed in totally random areas where it totally should not be.
Immediately in the video there is terrain blocking the walking path. It’s not supposed to be there.

From 00:12 to 00:17 the player is seen walking through visible terrain, but it’s also terrain that is NOT supposed to be there. From 00:26 to 00:53 the same issues are present.

2. Invisible terrain holes
At 00:53, the player is about to exit the ladder, however at the end of the ladder there should be terrain that meets it. Clearly there’s so much terrain missing and the player falls through the terrain hole.

Below is another specific video example. From 00:00 to 00:16 the player is walking normally over terrain, then suddenly at 00:17 the player falls through an invisible hole in the terrain.

I’ve received so many similar videos and images from players, but the above perfectly sums up the issues. My game is heavily reliant on terrain to work 100% as intended, and the issues as described above has been causing serious inconvenience for my players.

First reported : 23th April 2024
Last reported: Present
Devices: Based on received reports, it’s any device.

3 Likes

This is just an acknowledgment announcement!

We’ve filed a ticket into our internal database for this issue, and will come back as soon as we have updates!

Thanks for flagging!

3 Likes

@RJD12345 Hi, we turned of a new terrain feature for your particular place file. Could you please verify if you’re seeing the described issues? You might need to shutdown any existing sessions.

If this change resolved your issues. Could you please share a place file with a reproduction of the issue with me? You can try reproducing the issue in an unpublished place with a different ID from Expedition Antarctica.

Alternatively, you could share the place file of the experience were you ran into the issue with me over DM, if you feel comfortable doing so.

Hi @LittleGreenBrick, thank you for the message and thanks for the help! I personally never experienced the issues myself so I cannot comment, however I will notify to those in my player base who were experiencing issues to inform me. I will also shutdown all existing sessions.

Please allow me some time to do this and I’ll get back to you as quickly as possible.

Thanks. Is it possible to share what platforms the users that were experiencing the issue were running on?

Besides that, does Expedition Antartica use any TerrainRegion functionality? CopyRegion, PasteRegion, etc.

EDIT: Could you also share if you’re place is using Streaming? If so, you could share what Streaming parameters you’re using? (Workspace → Properties → Streaming)

1 Like

Hi, my place is also having an issue with parts falling through terrain water. I got the first report on my group wall at Apr 29, 2024 | 7:02 PM and it is easily reproducible. The game does not have streaming enabled.
I recently made an update that uses PasteRegion and the function is used frequently
bug report.wmv (4.4 MB)

As far as I can see so far, the users that had problem before are no longer experiencing terrain issues, but I’ll keep you posted in case anything comes up in the following days.

Based on the reports I had, it was definitely at least phone, console, and pc. I haven’t got any evidence from any tablet users, but I won’t be surprised if some tablet users were affected too.

Expedition Antarctica does not use any TerrainRegion functionality.

However, we do use streaming. Here’s the parameters:

Thanks for the info @RJD12345.

We identified two potential features as the cause for the regression you were seeing. Both have been disabled since the 29th. We’ve enabled one of them again for your place to help isolate the regression.

Please let us know if you see the problem resurface.

Is this anything to do with this:

There is issues setting heightmaps in beta terrain tools.

Ok, I’ll keep you updated. Thanks.

This looks unrelated. I’ve flagged this ticket internally. Someone should be taking a look at it now.

Hi @LittleGreenBrick, just a quick update. So far, I have not received any more reports of terrain issues. However, if I see any reports going forward, I will of course let you know.